Amplifers are SOOOOO much fun

DownUpDave

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
A few weeks ago I posted a NAD, New Amp Day, thought a little follow up was in order. The amp is a Fishman Loudbox mini and I am loving it. This amp has been reviewed and talk about tons so I will only add that it is all true, great product.

I have not spent a lot of time with this as I have been practicing a performance piece but last night I gave it a full 2 hours. My 26 year old son had not seen the amp so he listened as I did three songs and he said I sounded like a super star with the amp cranked. He even grabbed the uke and noodled around, he doesn't play uke, a little electric guitar. He was all smiles when I did Hotel California. Said it sounded very acoustic and resonant, yea for reverb and chorus

I always thought of ukulele as a simple instrument I could just grab at a whim and strum a few songs at the kitchen table. It still is and I love it's simplicity but adding an amp opens up a whole new sonic world and I am really glad I got it. If you have ever considered an amp by all means get one. It does not detract from the beauty of the ukulele it adds to it.

Time for a backyard, summer time, outdoor rock and roll uke fest :rock::rock:

Last edited:
Sounds like you had some fun! :)

How 'little' is his electric guitar?

(pun intended-Ha Ha) he might be close enough to start playing ukulele soon, no? :music:

The Loudbox Mini is awesome! I don't own one but got to use one to play some background ukulele music at a restaurant for a couple of hours and it did great. It filled up the room evenly and sounds quite natural. Good purchase!

I have an amp, a 20W Roland Cube, but no electrified ukulele (or guitar). Bought it for some fun with my electric kalimbas, though that didn't work all that well. None of my ukes have pickups (by choice, I just didn't want electronics in an acoustic instrument). Recently watched Baz's review of the Godin MultiUke, and I kind of wonder about it. I could justify that as being something entirely different from the now two tenors I own, because it would only really be used with the amp. (right.. right?!). I was interested in the Risa massive tenor e-ukulele (bit cheaper than the Godin, but not by a huge amount), but not keen on metal strings. The other solids with nylon strings didn't really "grab" me.

Sounds like you had some fun! :)

How 'little' is his electric guitar?

(pun intended-Ha Ha) he might be close enough to start playing ukulele soon, no? :music:

LMAO. .......way too funny Booli. I guess his electric guitar is not so LITTLE, especially compared to my uke.

LMAO. .......way too funny Booli. I guess his electric guitar is not so LITTLE, especially compared to my uke.

:) I saw the opportunity for some semantic word play, and could not resist - I'm glad you don't mind.

My 13 yr old niece has been taking ukulele lessons for 2 yrs now (after 3 yrs of violin, and casual self-taught piano), and wants to add guitar lessons in the fall. My sister asked me if I thought she'd have trouble learning the guitar (having myself had a somewhat similar path of starting at 7 yrs old with 2 yrs violin > 2 yrs piano > 35 yrs guitar > (many other instruments along the way) > 3 yrs ukulele)...

I told her that it should be pretty easy since my niece already can read music, and can actually sight read notation pretty well, and also has a basic understanding of theory (circle of 5ths and can actually transpose in her head), it's just 2 more strings that add on to the chord shapes, but she can use everything she already knows about the ukulele.....I'm looking forward to helping her...she's like some kind of prodigy when it comes to music...

As far as acoustic amps go, I bought a used Kustom Sienna 30 amp that was in decent shape, 2 yrs ago for only $54 (new they are ~$200) and I am very happy with it. It has an input each for a mic and an instrument, each with their own volume and preamp boost, 3-band eq with a notch filter for the mids, and both reverb and chorus, and despite being only 30 watts, it can get pretty loud, like TOO LOUD - or maybe I'm just getting old now ha ha :eek:ld:.

Had I not come upon this deal back then, I probably would have saved up for the same Fishman that you have, as that is one sweet little amp. :) Best of luck with it! :music:

My bias is ukes are for fun. I love amps as well and some of my ukes have pickups, some don't. Glad you are having a blast.

I know exactly where you are coming from. I bought an amp at a garage sale, and when I upgraded I got a uke with a pickup. I share your excitement. I have more fun with that thing. I've been known to set it up in the deck, and blast the neighborhood with uke rock.

I always want to be ready for anything, so all my ukes have preamp/tuners and pickups (oops, haven't installed one yet in my mandolele). I have a 15 year old Crate Limo USA made 50 watt 2 channel battery amp that works great with the ukes. I also just bought a Phil Jones Bass Double Four amp, which is supposed be good for all instruments, but I haven't tried anything but my u-basses with it. I also bought an outboard lithium battery for the PJBDF (my amps have to be battery capable).

The leader of my group, Cali Rose and The CC Strummers, uses a Fishman Loudbox mini, which works great for our rehearsals and on gigs out and about.

(This thread prompted me to add my amps to my signature.)

Last edited:
DUD,

Just purchased a Fishman loudbox mini (DAMN YOU REVERB), should be coming in soon.

Purchased influenced somewhat by your excitement ;)

DUD,

Just purchased a Fishman loudbox mini (DAMN YOU REVERB), should be coming in soon.

Purchased influenced somewhat by your excitement ;)

You will love it Ryan. Ask "sam13" how good his LfdM sounds through it, especially compared to the uke jam sound system he had to use on Monday.

I have spent more time with it and my Mya Moe sycamore tenor is just gorgeous sounding plugged into the Fishman. You're going to have some fun

You will love it Ryan. Ask "sam13" how good his LfdM sounds through it, especially compared to the uke jam sound system he had to use on Monday.

I have spent more time with it and my Mya Moe sycamore tenor is just gorgeous sounding plugged into the Fishman. You're going to have some fun

Hey Ryan,

You will love it. I found the sound to be quite loud, clean and full for both my singing voice and my LFdM Uke.

The system on Monday was terrible comparatively.

I am getting one shortly.

Top Bottom