Zoom H2n

The Big Kahuna

Reaction score
I know this should be in recording, but I need as many people's advice as possible.

The guy I bought the Focusrite 2i2 and Behringer C1 from, is selling his H2n for £50

That comes to about $79, but realistically, the exchange rate on instruments and technology has always been nearer to 1:1, so that would make it $50

Worth it? I'll worry about why I want it later, it just seems like a bit of a no-brainer.

if you need/want it, why not. buying used electronics is iffy, but I bought a slightly used [it looked new] H4N off craiglist for less than half and never have had any trouble. the audio is remarkable on these zooms, the video on the H4N is fair. there are limitations.It's what I use when posting to the seasons. uploads straight to the tube. they have a new model. looks more like a camera.

I know this should be in recording, but I need as many people's advice as possible.

The guy I bought the Focusrite 2i2 and Behringer C1 from, is selling his H2n for £50

That comes to about $79, but realistically, the exchange rate on instruments and technology has always been nearer to 1:1, so that would make it $50

Worth it? I'll worry about why I want it later, it just seems like a bit of a no-brainer.

You cant even buy a decent interface for a smartphone or tablet at that price, never mind a pair of studio pencil condenser mics for stereo recording, nor the USB audio interface capabilities (as a backup to your Focusrite 2i2) as well as the nice built-in preamps, and of course the fact that it RECORDS to an SD card, and ALL OF THIS without a giant spaghetti mess of cables....

I guess you might be able to figure out what I'd do - TAKE MY MONEY - FAST!!! :)

It does depend a bit on what you want it for. It runs at around 140 pounds new, so if it's in good condition, that's definitely a good price.

The H2N is generally a bit controversial in the field recording scene. Many people adore it, and equally as many people feel that the preamps are on the noisy side. I looked hard at several recorders and eventually bought a Zoom H6, which has very quiet preamps (same as the H5, but I got a H6 + accessories bundle at a discounted price, so I went with that), but it's not really a fair comparison. A better comparison to the H2N is the Sony PCM-M10, which I bought before the H6, and the Sony is definitely quieter and can go toe to toe with much more expensive field recorders. Compared to other recorders in the H2N's price range, it's not at all bad, and not worse than the competition (except the PCM-M10, but I think that's discontinued now, and it's an outlier).

But all of this talk about being noisy gives the wrong idea. It matters when you record sound samples for processing and you want as low a noise floor as you can get. For pretty much all other applications, like recording yourself, recording a performance, auditioning, capturing audio for a video, podcasts, and so on, the H2N is perfectly fine. There won't be any loud static noise. :) The mics are heaps better than those of phones and most video cameras, and there are different modes to choose from. It's a useful device, and at fifty pounds, I think it's hard to say no to it.

I've been using the H2N for over two years now to record my rock-band rehearsals and live gigs in addition to fiddling on my ukes at home. These are great, little, and inexpensive devices. Several variations on mic combinations and adjustable gain. Very easy to use and you get great sound recordings.
Both thumbs up on my end...
Cheerios!

Sorted. Just sent him the money. I kinda know the guy anyway, and he's local to me, and very trustworthy.

I love my H2N. I find it quite effective for my basic needs. Plus, you can actually use it with headphones quite effectively to listen to yourself while playing without actually recording yourself. I find this "live" feedback very valuable. "Uh, yep, this part needs more work. ;-)"

without a doubt worth it but it seems like you already feel that since you sent the money. Let us know how it goes.

How's the Focusrite? I need to look into getting a computer interface.

How's the Focusrite? I need to look into getting a computer interface.

I have a 2i2, too. In retrospect, I'd probably get the Steinberg UR22 instead if I only wanted two inputs; same quality, same price range, but also has MIDI I/O. I didn't think I'd need or want that when I got the 2i2, but missed it when I picked up some more outboard gear. I also realized I'd prefer more inputs, so if I could start over, I'd likely go with the Steinberg UR44 for more inputs or the brand-new iConnectAudio4+. The latter has the advantage that it can be the interface for two computers at the same time, or a computer and an iPad (that's what I would want it for). It even charges the iPad.

I like my h2n. It does a fantastic job on recording piano recitals, should work well for recording where you want without having a computer tether.
The h4n with a couple of added mics should be great for a trouble free on the go recording studio.

For tethered single condenser mic it really is hard to beat the samson go mic for all around bang for the buck.

Top Bottom