Lava-New Pixar short (for Inside Out) features ukulele song!

Papa Bear

Reaction score
I just returned home from seeing Inside Out with my kids. My daughter has recently taken up ukulele, and she was very excited about the new short Pixar feature called "Lava". I've never heard the song before, but it was a four chord uke song about a volcano who sang about his hope for meeting his "Lava" (lady volcano). It had a nice tune, with a duet part at the end.
Is this a new song, or did someone decide to make it into a story?

Last edited:
I'm guessing that Uku and Lele make beautiful music together.:)

I loved the job your daughter did with the tutorial. She has a very nice singing voice and is a natural in front of the camera. Very confident young lady, you should be quite proud.

Thanks Dave. She began performing as a dancer for our family business, All Star Kids Party DJs, about 8 years ago. She's done a number of YouTube videos, and has learned the importance of timely editing. She picked up my guitar and started learning on her own. My oldest son Joshua encouraged her to try the ukulele because it is well suited to her style and voice.
I was able to use some bonus money to get her that Ohana from Uke Republic. She's done well learning songs.
I was happy that she wanted to do this.

I saw this short last fall in the Animation Show of Shows, and again last night in its theatrical run with Inside Out, and it's a lovely piece, played and sung with simple grace. And oy, such a voice!

--------

BTW, for those who may be interested, the Animation Show of Shows is an annual tour of some of the best new animated shorts from around the world, and it's well worth your time if it comes to your area. It's worth your money too; to date, it's been free.

Note: I have no direct connection with the show, but I have made a small contribution via Kickstarter for the drive to fund the show's new non-profit status.

YES! I was already looking forward to Inside Out, now I have two reasons. You think it'll be shown in the UK too?

The voice of Uku is Kuana Torres Kahele, multi-award winning Hawaiian musician and a really nice guy too! Here is a little clip of him singing and playing ukulele.

http://youtu.be/S9ssL7mYIpM

YES! I was already looking forward to Inside Out, now I have two reasons. You think it'll be shown in the UK too?

Not sure Casey, last time I saw a Pixar film was Frozen, that didn't have the accompanying short (which I far preferred to the actual film), but it was on the DVD.

I love Pixar's short films though. They tell such great stories in just a few minutes, often with hardly any dialogue. The one they released with Big Hero Six (entitled 'Feast' I believe) was outstanding.

Top Bottom