Kala K-AB top refinish

Norman2

Reaction score
Hi, I bought my Kala K-AB baritone from HMS. I decided to do something
with the top as it was drab Mahogany color. A friend of mine who is a
master woodworker gave me a small jar of a liquid that he uses to enhance the colors of wood grains. I have attached a photo of the results. I think that now you can see the true colors of Mahogany.
Regards
Norman2

Attachments

• IMGP0015.jpg
    IMGP0015.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 51
  • IMGP0016.jpg
    IMGP0016.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 51
Don't leave us in suspense; what is this magic elixir? I currently use Dunlop lemon oil on my matte ukes and fingerboards, but due to the darkness of the stain on my KA-B (an older model), I doubt anything short of refinishing would make mine look as handsome.

Hi, Called my friend and asked him what liquid he used to do this. This is what he said: It is a wood bleach thinned with a little thinner and he adds a little linseed oil. Take a sponge brush and brushes the top (not the bridge) and he rubs
the top with some cotton tabs. He does this about three times and waits 1 hour. He then wipes out with a clean cotton
cloth and some acetone. It comes out beautiful. After it dries completely he then rubs some satin polyurethane and
next day it looks great. Satin finish and beautiful dark and light wood grain. My Kala came in with almost a solid mahogany
color and it was hard to see the grain. However it sounded great without the refurbish. Regards.
Norman2

Top Bottom