Proper Ukulele Orchestra

philrab66

Reaction score
Hi all
Just wondering if there are any proper ukulele orchestras out there that play serious music. i have heard of all the usual ones but is there one out there that use a lot of instruments say 30 sopranos, 20 concerts, tenors etc..............

Not sure what "serious music" is (classical maybe?) but I play in an instrumental-only ensemble and am pretty darned serious about it :) We're not a large enough group to have ukes in the numbers you mentioned, but we do have ukes of all sizes as well as U-bass. Here we are performing a short set last year.

I personally get a little... annoyed by the way "orchestra" is used with "ukulele" to describe what I see as mostly vocal groups in which the uke is mainly a rhythm instrument. You don't see that as much with mandolin orchestras, recorder orchestras, or the like.

Last edited:
"Serious Music" ????????????????????????????

Not sure what "serious music" is but I play in an instrumental-only ensemble and am pretty darned serious about it :) We're not a large enough group to have ukes in the numbers you mentioned, but we do have ukes of all sizes as well as U-bass. Here we are performing a short set last year.

I personally get a little... annoyed by the way "orchestra" is used with "ukulele" to describe what I see as mostly vocal groups in which the uke is mainly a rhythm instrument. You don't see that as much with mandolin orchestras, recorder orchestras, or the like.

Don't get annoyed at Ukulele Orchestras. But do get annoyed, vexed , concerned ...nay terrified ..at Accordion Orchestras !!!!!!!!!!

I can vouch for the quality of the Westside Ukulele Ensemble Janeray1040 mentioned. They perform mostly 3 and 4 part instrumental pieces of a great variety. I was a member but ultimately realized that I bit off more than I could chew. I did not qualify at the level in which they play.

I can vouch for the quality of the Westside Ukulele Ensemble Janeray1040 mentioned.

Thanks but to clarify - the clip I posted was not of the Westside Ukulele Ensemble. That is a different group, albeit with a lot of overlap of both members and material. Here they are playing at a recent ukulele festival. They now play some vocal songs as well.

Oops, assumption, my bad Janeray1940. Yes, the McCabe's ensemble group is very good, I actually videoed their 2013 Christmas concert doing "Puttin' on the Ritz," "Kerfuntin Jig," and "From Russia with Love." (Sorry about the camera shake, no tripod.)

Last edited:
Not sure what "serious music" is (classical maybe?)...

That was exactly my parents' definition.

I reckon the UOGB are to blame for that though their take is basically light hearted and the term orchestra is probably not meant to be taken too seriously though, like a lot of performers whose style is light hearted, it disguises a very high standard of musicianship.

I used to play in a recorder orchestra and, believe me, it's rather difficult to sing effectively while playing a recorder - though some avant garde composers want you to do just that!

Not sure what "serious music" is (classical maybe?) but I play in an instrumental-only ensemble and am pretty darned serious about it :) We're not a large enough group to have ukes in the numbers you mentioned, but we do have ukes of all sizes as well as U-bass. Here we are performing a short set last year.

Thanks Janeray
Yes should have said ensemble. Would love to be able to join a group like you have. What is the name of the ensemble you are a member of now, have watched a few of Westsides ones and are very good.
Phil.

ukulele, orchestra and serious should never be used in the same sentence! :shaka:

Thanks Janeray
Yes should have said ensemble. Would love to be able to join a group like you have. What is the name of the ensemble you are a member of now, have watched a few of Westsides ones and are very good.
Phil.

Thanks Phil! The group I play in doesn't actually have a name; we started as a class at McCabe's Guitar Shop here in Santa Monica some years ago and somehow evolved from beginning players to what we're doing now. We meet weekly for much of the year, working towards a small set that we do at the shop's annual holiday showcase.

It's been an interesting journey. Westside Ukes sort of was an interim solution that came up via discussions here on UU when a bunch of us wanted to play in a uke group that was more challenging than the strum and sing stuff that most uke groups do (although at the time, there wasn't even a strum and sing group on our side of town other than one catering to seniors that meets when most of us slightly younger folks are working). Nothing like that already existed, so we had to do it ourselves! At some point after starting Westside Ukes, the ensemble at McCabe's formed and as noted above, a lot of us did both and played the same material. Eventually Westside Ukes took on new members and a few members developed arranging skills, broadening the repertoire and seeking more performing opportunities - I never thought there was such a thing as "too much ukulele" but for me, there was - I can't keep up with everything and do it well, so now I limit my focus to the McCabe's group, some instrumentals I do in a trio, and my solo stuff.

I reckon the UOGB are to blame for that though their take is basically light hearted and the term orchestra is probably not meant to be taken too seriously though, like a lot of performers whose style is light hearted, it disguises a very high standard of musicianship.

I used to play in a recorder orchestra and, believe me, it's rather difficult to sing effectively while playing a recorder - though some avant garde composers want you to do just that!

Agreed, I think it does come from UOGB, and as you noted their musicianship makes it more ... legit somehow.

Sing *and* play recorder? I can't imagine; I can barely sing and play uke at the same time :)

I like it all, and try it all. Instrumental arrangements are fun. Strum and sing is also fun. The UOGB has some really well read and well played musicians. Can't wait to see them later this year. Our little group, the Ukulele Band of Alabama, is sing and strum right now, but I can see us branching off into some instrumental stuff. We have some folks who can do it, with enough practice.

Our uke group is sing and strum. I took up uke to accompany myself singing so I am happy to keep it simple to support my singing. With the uke group I sometimes get out my harmonica and play along as there are plenty singing and it adds something to the song.

The singing and playing recorder that I mentioned is basically for effect. What the composer wants you to do is to vocalise into the recorder rather than just blowing into it.

Our uke group is sing and strum. I took up uke to accompany myself singing so I am happy to keep it simple to support my singing. With the uke group I sometimes get out my harmonica and play along as there are plenty singing and it adds something to the song.

The singing and playing recorder that I mentioned is basically for effect. What the composer wants you to do is to vocalise into the recorder rather than just blowing into it.

Memories of trying to achieve multiphonics - Yikes! I did get my clarinet to sound like a didgeridoo, but was never able to recreate the effect.

Just wondering if there are any proper ukulele orchestras out there that play serious music.
Well, in any case the "properness" of any musical "orchestra" depends on how serious the individual members take their membership and contribution.

Didn't the classical guitar folk ponder the same question a few centuries a go?

This is a fabulous thread. Even though Classical music might be considered serious, it still gives a lot of joy.
I think the stuff that Jake plays is pretty darn serious!
And the members of the UOGB are seriously great!

This is a fabulous thread. Even though Classical music might be considered serious, it still gives a lot of joy.
I think the stuff that Jake plays is pretty darn serious!
And the members of the UOGB are seriously great!

Whereas I, of course , just seriously grate.........:biglaugh:

Top Bottom