6 vs. 8 String Uke -- Different Voice/Tuning

UkeParent

Reaction score
Hello,

I would like to get either a 6-string or 8-string tenor uke. I am not a beginner but not skilled, so I would like it to be in the sub-$200 range. I like the fuller sound of these ukes. The octaves make them sound very rich, almost like a 12-string guitar.

I have a few questions.

1. In general, why are the 6 and 8-strings tuned so differently? The 8-string ukulele has the highest pitched strings tuned in unison, and the lower pitched strings tuned to octaves. The 6-string ukulele has only the 1st (A) and 3rd(C) strings doubled, the rest in unison.

2. Which of these tunings "makes more sense"? How would you compare/contrast the voices of these tunings?

3. Can one tune a 6-string like an 8, by having octaves on the G and C and having the E and A in unison?

3. It appears both 6 and 8-strings make it harder to fingerpick. Does one or the other of the above typical tunings make it any easier to fingerpick?

4. I like to use barre chords. Which style, and which tuning, would lend itself more to this kind of play?

5. Finally, any suggestions for good starter ukes with either 6 or 8 strings? (I guess there are 5-string ukes, too...)

Thanks!

Hello,

I would like to get either a 6-string or 8-string tenor uke. I am not a beginner but not skilled, so I would like it to be in the sub-$200 range. I like the fuller sound of these ukes. The octaves make them sound very rich, almost like a 12-string guitar.

I have a few questions.

1. In general, why are the 6 and 8-strings tuned so differently? The 8-string ukulele has the highest pitched strings tuned in unison, and the lower pitched strings tuned to octaves. The 6-string ukulele has only the 1st (A) and 3rd(C) strings doubled, the rest in unison.

2. Which of these tunings "makes more sense"? How would you compare/contrast the voices of these tunings?

3. Can one tune a 6-string like an 8, by having octaves on the G and C and having the E and A in unison?

3. It appears both 6 and 8-strings make it harder to fingerpick. Does one or the other of the above typical tunings make it any easier to fingerpick?

4. I like to use barre chords. Which style, and which tuning, would lend itself more to this kind of play?

5. Finally, any suggestions for good starter ukes with either 6 or 8 strings? (I guess there are 5-string ukes, too...)

Thanks!

Have had an 8-string for a while and just received a 6-string yesterday. Am still experimenting with the 6-string. Regarding the OO's questions:

1. It's all about the sound. Have the 6-string mimic an 8-string (minus two strings) would be boring.

2. Not really. The alignment of the nut slots and string holes in the bridge wouldn't allow it.

3. Tough to call. Like everything, practice makes not-perfect but better.

4. Don't think it really matters.

5. The most reasonable 8-string is the Oscar Schmidt OU28T (under $125 USA delivery). I have one and find it okay with a decent setup. Am new to 6-strings (got mine used vua UU marketplace) so others coukd answer this better.

Closing comment: Would suggest going 8-string first. The sound may be more familiar than the aA on the 6-string.

I have an Ohana 6 string. I wanted an 8 string, but they didn't have one, and, rather than wait, I bought a 6 string. I use it for song accompaniment and don't like it at all for picking. It sounds weird to me when picked. Also, I find it very difficult to use barre chords, though I can barre my other Ukes.

Between the two I'd prefer the 8 string, but I'm just not ready for either yet. The 6 string seems kinda silly to me. :eek:ld:

Hello,

I have a few questions.

Thanks!

Most low end 6 & 8 are usually very low end sounding. One of the worst is the Kala 8 string. Kamaka makes very good 6's and 8's.

Not sure why you think the 8's are "fuller". It only adds a low g, but is usually severely overpowered by the high c, and double high a. Its a very high pitched instrument akin to a Standard. Good for Hula accompaniment, with a guitar and bass.

1. You can string them how you want. My 6 is actually a 3/4 - octave g, double high a (basically an 8, without the octave c and double e). Lili`u tuning has the low a. I know a string set that has a low g and double high a, definitely not Lili`u tuning.

3. Yes - have your builder do it, but that's a pricey gamble. Or, get an 8 and string it as a six. Problem is, if its built as an 8 and you take off two strings, well, you'll get what you get, setup notwithstanding. . .

5. IMO - 6's and 8's are not starter ukes. The good ones are good, the crap ones are crap. There are exceptions of course.

I agree with Steve on the 8 though - the 6 is a tuning you'll need to match to your music, although in a Hula setting, it usually fits right in with a guitar and bass.

Side note: A tiple will have more harmonics of a 12-strings. And yes, they can be picked. Mine are actually fuller sounding, even though by nature it is a very high pitched instrument. The deep body helps. Definitely not a first/starter, or only instrument.

Last edited:
I use my 8 string Kamala a lot. When I play at single arounds, I usually have it with me. Some peo Pl let ask "what kind of mandolin is that?"
I'm using it more than my Kamala tenor. I do some picking with it but if I have a lot of picking I use a Myamoe resonator

I've had a 6 and have had several 8's. If you like to fingerplck get one with a wider neck so the strings aren't so close together. I had a Kamaka, and they are very nice but pricey. I had a custom but didn't like the string spacing, fine for strumming , not so for picking. The one I kept is a Lanikai LU-8. Paid less than a hundred for it[needed a bridge reglue] and like it almost as much as the other 2. It has a very thin laminate top with some bellying issues, but plays and sounds great. Maybe I just got a "good" one.

I tried a Kala 8-string. It sounded insipid. (My 10-string tiple sounds much richer.) I have a Kala 6-string. It sounds wonderful, but 1) it's least bothersome with harmonic chording and strumming, and 2) I must learn new techniques and arrangements for melodic chording and fingerpicking. I suppose a decent 8-string would sound like a thin 12-string guitar if that's the sound one wants. The 6-string is just... different. Why is it tuned so? I dunno. But I found I had to flip the top course, so mind is now tuned g-cC-E-Aa.

Update: An Oscar Schmidt OU28T 8-string tenor arrived this morning; I've been tuning-up its Nylquts ever since. Hope they settle down this week! Now I have Three Tenors: 4-string Alvarez, 6-string Kala, 8-string Schmidt. The OU28T has nice rich voice, rather better than the Kala 8-string I tried a couple months ago (but the Kala may have suffered a bad in-store setup). Yes, it sounds like a little 12-string guitar much more than a re-entrant-tuned 'uke. Fingerpicking the 8-string is easier than my 6-string Kala because the courses are so familiar.

Addressing the OP questions:

Why? Good question. I'm not really sure what a 6-strings' place in the natural order of instruments, except maybe to befuddle old guitarists.

The 6-string is definitely re-entrant and thus more 'uke-ish. The 8-string is definitely linear and more guitar-like. Either "makes sense" depending on the effects desired.

A 6-string so tuned would sound mighty thin -- too much bass. I tried something similar with my cuatro-menor whose four tripled courses are tuned in unison: ggg-ccc-eee-aaa. I added low-octave strings to the lower courses for gGg-cCc-eee-aaa. Wrong! The steel strings' former shimmering sound turned heavy. Hmmm, maybe I'll restring a mandolin to octaves and see if that sounds 'wrong' also.

I don't find fingerpicking any multi-course instrument (6- and 8-string ukes, 10-string tiple and cuatro-prima, 12-string guitars and o'uds) PHYSICALLY difficult. But picking the 6-string Kala, however the courses are laid, is just counter-intuitive for me -- it's a mind-twister. I must develop new picking techniques. The 8-string is as easy to pick as any low-G 'uke.

Neither instrument is especially difficult for me to barre. I'm tempted to slack either and try for a taropatch sound.

I'm happy with what I have. The sweet-voiced 6-string Kala KA6's street price is a bit over US$200. (My wife paid more.) I got the Schmidt 8-string from eBay vendor Arkansas Music Works for US$92 shipped fast. I call the Schmidt a better deal but I'm happy with both -- the Schmidt is easy, the Kala is challenging. I like challenges.

Last edited:
I got a Lanikai 6 string last week and so far I like it a lot. I tend to play fingerstyle more and more so I go the 6 to make sure I keep up my strumming chops. Fooling around with it I've found you can fingerpick on it you just have to adjust how you hit the strings. For me I've found that using the very tips of my fingers along with the little bit of nail I have on the my right hand helps me hit the doubled strings. I'm still working on that but it looks like it can be done with some practice.

I got a Lanikai 6 string last week and so far I like it a lot. I tend to play fingerstyle more and more so I go the 6 to make sure I keep up my strumming chops. Fooling around with it I've found you can fingerpick on it you just have to adjust how you hit the strings. For me I've found that using the very tips of my fingers along with the little bit of nail I have on the my right hand helps me hit the doubled strings. I'm still working on that but it looks like it can be done with some practice.

I also got a Lanikai 6-string almost two weeks ago from another UU member. I love it! I flatpick it and it just rings.

Has anyone ever heard of tuning the 6-string to "open tuning"? I like that tuning better, but I think the 6er is mostly played as a Hawaiian instrument.

Also, has anyone ever heard of a 6-string tuned to DGBE? I like low tones better.

Just wondering . . . I'm not thoroughly happy with my 6-string, and I thought I might experiment a little. :eek:ld:

I also got a Lanikai 6-string almost two weeks ago from another UU member. I love it! I flatpick it and it just rings.
My Kala 6-string (my wife's purchase of which for me a few months back is what triggered my current 'uke madness) also rings and sings. But, strung G-Cc-E-Aa, it seems like a more specialized instrument than either my 4- or 8-string 'ukes. My other 'tenor' is a 10-string Martin tiple strung gG-cCc-eEe-aa. The top course on those 6- and 10-string axes make each sound unbalanced -- the aa is too thin on the tiple (next to those octave courses) and the Aa is too thick on the Kala (next to the single E string). In comparison, the Schmidt 8-string is strung Gg-Cc-EE-aa and seems much more balanced -- and I'll play it more than the 6- and 10-strings.

EDIT: I said the little 6- and 10-string axes are unbalanced. Ah, but so are basses and mandolins. These are mostly suited better for accompaniment than solo playing. A 6- or 12-string guitar, or 4- or 8-string 'uke, is better balanced for solitary use. Guess I need friends.

Last edited:
My 6-string is C3-G3-G4-D4-A4-A3. It definitely is much more guitar-like soundwise than the classic uke. I think it would accompany and mix almost like a parlor guitar. That low-A and low-C really ring it down. Picking hasn't been a problem and doing complex chords on frets 1-5 is comfortable. Wish I had gotten on the 6-string bandwagon earlier. I'm at the point where the 6-string now gets the most playing time.

Have a preamp/pickup/tuner on order (one of $25 EBay type) and plan to install it on the 6-string when it arrives. Much prefer having the installed tuner than a clip-on.

My 6-string is C3-G3-G4-D4-A4-A3. It definitely is much more guitar-like soundwise than the classic uke. I think it would accompany and mix almost like a parlor guitar. That low-A and low-C really ring it down. Picking hasn't been a problem and doing complex chords on frets 1-5 is comfortable.
Yes, that low C and lower octaves would definitely produce a non-uke sound. That tenor becomes more of a nylon mando-guitar mutant. A baritone 'uke so strung would be interesting. Are any 6-string bari's around? (Answer: YES!) How about 8-string bari's? (Answer: also YES, barely.) Oh damn, must I dream of acquiring those? [/me foresees budget problems]

Yes, that low C and lower octaves would definitely produce a non-uke sound. That tenor becomes more of a nylon mando-guitar mutant. A baritone 'uke so strung would be interesting. Are any 6-string bari's around? (Answer: YES!) How about 8-string bari's? (Answer: also YES, barely.) Oh damn, must I dream of acquiring those? [/me foresees budget problems]

Sometims the hunt is more fun than the actual capture....

The electronics for the 6-String came in today's mail. Will test them out either tomorrow or Friday, and if working okay will install over the weekend.

Top Bottom