Moisture content meter advise

resoman

Reaction score
I have a moisture meter with pins that just really doesn't work well. Can I get some recommendations for a meter that is accurate and won't break the bank?? I think the one I have is made by "Dr. Meter". I'm looking at a pinless meter by Ryobi but it has mixed reviews, about $75.00 at Amazon.
Thanks!
th

I figured I was gonna have to pony up and spend some dough. I like the idea of no pins but they are more expensive for a good one. I was looking at the Lignomat line but the Wagner Meters MMC205 at $280.00 is probably what I'm gonna end up with.

I figured I was gonna have to pony up and spend some dough. I like the idea of no pins but they are more expensive for a good one. I was looking at the Lignomat line but the Wagner Meters MMC205 at $280.00 is probably what I'm gonna end up with.

That's the one I have. BTW, no one I buy wood from wants me sticking holes in their wood and if you measure on the edges where the holes don't matter you're not getting an accurate reading. Pinless is the way to go IMO.

How do you read thin woods with the pin-less meters? Most specs show the reading point calibrated to read at 3/4" deep.

I have a Delmhorst pinned meter, but I think I'd like to have both types actually. Sometimes MC readings can be a moving target.

My Lignoscanner SD has two settings. 1/4" and 3/4", which refer to the thickness of the wood. As I recall, they make three models: a 1/4" one, a 3/4" one, and one that will do both. The SD is, of course, more money. Seems to work well. It comes with a booklet that has different calibration values for different wood. Look up the wood, type in the calibration value, select thickness, take a reading.

Yankulele

Top Bottom