2 little problems (or mistake)

Ahcaramel

Reaction score
Hi, i was wondering if it normal that i have real struggle with the D chords.

i have a KALA KA-S ukelele*

I checked a lot of method to get it right but... still real problem

1. i need more practice ( of course haha)
2. may the soprano size doesn't fit me at all ?
3. should i buy another one already even if i'm a beginner

and my second question is i have problem holding the ukulele when i'm changing : Em to G or D to G. It like my uke is always dropping in my hand and I have to hold it or replace it every time.

I was questionning myself if i should buy strap button or something alike.

I know it some newby question but i would be really gateful to any advice

Thank you and have a good evening :)

This is too hard to explain in text. I will make you a quick video tomorrow.

I swivel my fretting hand toward the headstock a little so it is in the crook of my thumb and forefinger. I do not have big hands. Works for me.

I was pretty frustrated with holding the ukulele when I started out, and trying to support the neck made chording harder. It'll be easier once your finger strength improves, but what fixed it for me, and made the ukulele fun to play, was getting a Uke Leash. They're inexpensive, too.

I looked at the beginner video and really help me !
i know it pretty hard to explain in text

i may buy a uke leash i checked after i read Mivo :)
and it sure that my finger will get stronger ( i hope haha)
thank for the advice !
I've done i little video to show my inexperience haha ( but i'm not sure i can't post is on the forum directly )

*I'll put the video on youtube and make a link ( won't be too long)

Last edited:
20150623_091300.jpg

Don't be hesitant to use a strap, even on a soprano. It is all very personal and whatever you like is the correct choice. I have them on soprano thru to baritone.

Regarding yoir difficulty with the D chord, yes soprano can be harder with that chord because of the shorter distance between fret wires. No you don't have to go to a larger size as all soprano players can play a D chord, just requires practice.

I have had the most success with the following fingering, we are all anatomically different but give it a try. On the 2nd fret (obviously) place you index finger over the G & C strings, collapsing it at the joint so the remainder of the finger is angling up from the fret board. Then place your middle finger (The Bird Finger) on the E string.

See picture at top

Last edited:
It's all about practice. Ukulele size, hand size,... all the factors involved are simply hurdles along the way. People of all sizes and shapes can play D chords (and E chords) on every size and style of instrument. Same with holding the instrument when changing chords. You'll develop that ability (although a strap doesn't hurt).
Practice, practice, practice. It's the greatest trick in the book.
Embrace the struggle. You'll get through it. In fact, one day you'll wonder what the difficulty ever was.

Last edited:
As all before me have said... Practice! Getting a strap (or uke leash or mobius strap) will help a lot as you are learning (and even beyond). Don't worry about the size. Learn to play what you have. I have large hands and started on the soprano (didn't even know other sizes existed). I actually think it is better because if I had known there were bigger sizes I may have skipped the soprano thinking it was too small. I have all sizes and the sopranos are my favorite to play.

As for the D chord, practice and experiment. I found it easiest for me to take my middle finger and fret the top three strings leaving the A string open.

image.jpg

If it helps, I struggled with the D for a long time. I spent a lot of time playing A-D-B-D-C-D-E-D-F-D-G-D. Then I would turn right around and go through the same drill, replacing the D with the E. It just seems like some chords are harder than others, and some times there isn't an easier way.

@Rllink, I really like that exercise you outlined. Because it is alphabetical in order even I could figure that out :p

@WCBarnes.........we are like a couple of hand models :shaka: :biglaugh:

(I didn't notice that it was in alphabetical order until you pointed it out. Gosh. Coffee, now.)

I thank you all for the comment below :)
They help me and I'll practice more !
A-D-B-D-C-D-E-D-F-D-G-D is a really good way to practice it !!
I'm really happy to found you guys haha i feel less alone with the instrument haha
I may look for any strap :p

thank alot again !!!

regarding the change from Em to G you might consider fretting the Em (0432) like a G (0232) with added pinky on the 3rd string (yes, the C string is fretted on 2 and 4) - this is also a good exercise for the other way round...

how many fingers you use for the D on a soprano is up to you - I can't do it with more than two fingers (barring G and C string as already said above)

And with regards to holding the uke a strap can indeed help, esp when you're not yet used to holding the uke with your right forearm/elbow and your chest. Just keep the neck pointing upwards (approx 45°, headstock roughly on shoulder height) for easier fretting.

Ahcaramel,
There's always another option with the ukulele.
I almost always play the D chord as a barre chord, I like it better. I've only played a couple of songs where it doesn't sound better. Try barring all string across the 2nd fret, then fret the A string at the5th fret with the pinkie finger. You might like it.

I'm not a beginner and my uke still slides around, especially when I'm standing. I use a Uke Leash. Try one of those or another strap option. You'll be surprised how much it helps. It will also free your left hand for changing chords. You may also notice you're not holding the uke so tightly with your left hand. This can only help, now and in the long run. Good luck!

Top Bottom