NDD: New Djembe Day

Olarte

Reaction score
Woohoo! My Djembe arrived today. It will be fun to use on some of my Uke videos. :shaka:

For now I'm jamming away with the song I wrote for my grandson Max which is the last YouTube video I posted. A lot of fun!!

image.jpg

Thanks Jenny. I went with a Meinl as I like their stuff. They are among the top in world percussion made in Germany and very solid to the last detail I have their cajon which also awesome.

I found a great deal on this one on eBay so saved about 70 off and it's basically new.

I won't re record the song I made for Max but love playing along with it.

However this will be neat for under the sea. I have a few ideas in mind for various videos just need a quiet day in the house and the motivation. To do a video.

I have a boss looper so I want to start mixing other instruments to make my own backing track for future uke videos... Love my "candy store" between string and percussion instruments and my basic operation of electronics it's a great sandbox to play in he he he

Sweet. I also play djembe a bit. I teach instrumental/classroom music in an arts magnet school and we have a duo called Living Rhythms do a two week residency every year. They are based in North Carolina and are students of a master djembefola named Mamady Keita. The organization is called Tam Tam Mandingue.
Over the years we have become very good friends. I bought a djembe through them a few years back. Cost me about $250 and it was handmade in Ghana. I have had many percussionists tell me it was the best djembe they have ever played. Many have told me not to turn my head as they would steal it if I did. Such a fun instrument to play.
We end their residency with a performance and one year we worked out a vocal piece with the kids. I played ukulele and my two friends played djembe and dunun. My wife is from Hawaii and she brought leis for the three of us to wear. It was a lot of fun. It's nice to make music with such wonderful musicians and even nicer when they are good friends.

Awesome story thanks for sharing it here :)

I've read that Mamady Keita has the best teaching DVDs out there.

Yep music is wonderful and djembe is like the Uke it can be as simple or complicated as you want it to be.

Sweet. I also play djembe a bit. I teach instrumental/classroom music in an arts magnet school and we have a duo called Living Rhythms do a two week residency every year. They are based in North Carolina and are students of a master djembefola named Mamady Keita. The organization is called Tam Tam Mandingue.
Over the years we have become very good friends. I bought a djembe through them a few years back. Cost me about $250 and it was handmade in Ghana. I have had many percussionists tell me it was the best djembe they have ever played. Many have told me not to turn my head as they would steal it if I did. Such a fun instrument to play.
We end their residency with a performance and one year we worked out a vocal piece with the kids. I played ukulele and my two friends played djembe and dunun. My wife is from Hawaii and she brought leis for the three of us to wear. It was a lot of fun. It's nice to make music with such wonderful musicians and even nicer when they are good friends.

Wow! That looks like one cool djembe!

I'm playing in a few drum circles myself right now and ordered a drum of my own from a local drum maker.

I agree with you, djembe being like uke: as simple or as complicated as your talent dictates.

Mamady Keita says that the djembe does not see color, race or gender. The djembe sees what is in our hearts. The masters also say the djembe has no borders. If we all thought like the djembe, we would not have so much trouble in the world.
Jake often says if everyone played the ukulele, the world would be a much nicer place. Very similar philosophies. Mamady Keita and Jake would definitely like each other.

Last edited:
Congrats! This looks like the one you can change to pitch on by grabbing the strings. We have a cheap metal one, it's sure fun to play.

Top Bottom