10th Fret

freedive135

Reaction score
Ok all you "normal players" out there....

I know the likes of our beloved Aldrine and Jake and Dom travel to the land of closer to the body than the 10th fret...

I notice in my piles of sheet music and song books VERY few go that far and most don't even use second position chords, now I do have a couple of books that do use the 2nd and 3rd position chords but they are chord melody books...

So I am wondering how many of us mere mortals go to the land beyond the 10th fret or even the 7th?????

Last edited:
I've only been there once or twice - nope, just once - since most of the songs I play are simple chord strumming ones (while you sing to achieve the actual melody). I guess it becomes more of a place to live and less of a place to visit when you do more instrumentals.

I do, in fact I've "discovered" a fun fact, once you're in the 7th Fret, you're actually like on the 12th fret of guitar, so you can play your guitar scales on the uke, mixed with "normal" uke scales at the beginning of the neck it's interesting, in order to memorize the scales.

But maybe it sounds obvious for you all ...

And of cours once you're in the 12th fret your scales and chords are the same than in fret 0.

CouS

I've been playing for more than fifteen years (a strummer, not a picker), and I recently decided to play the bridge to one number way up there on the tenth fret. At first it disturbed a lot of dust from the fret-board, made me cough and sneeze, and I got all light-headed, but I have stuck at it. Now I can do it almost without thinking, with just a trace of a smug, self-satisfied smirk.

I do use 0453 for an alternative Am7; 4535 for G7; 5433 for C; 3433 for C7; 5655 for D7; 5555 for Dm7; and one of my favourites 5500 FMaj7. Not very adventurous stuff, I know, but it gives a bit of variety.

Ukantor.

I get high

I found that it is quite common for "Melodic" style songs to go up around the 10th fret, with 5th-7th more common. I am a real newbie but, even after only a few weeks of looking for songs, I have found many that go up there. John King's "The Classical Ukulele" book even has a few pieces that take you to the 15th fret! I haven't tried any of those yet.:eek:

I don't know enough about the chords to be that high on the neck for strumming songs. I am having too much fun playing harmonized melodies. I think it might get kind of difficult to bar chords as you get closer to the soundbox. That's when you need one of those cut-away style ukes. But, I don't think I will ever get one of those. I seldom have gone past the 12th fret on the classical guitar or on the banjo.

–L

I have a few songs that touch the 15th fret, so I am up there quite a bit. In fact I am kind of a stickler for intonation at the 12th.

Seriously, I have thought about making a "special" with just eight frets. That should cover most of what I play.

Ukantor.

I would buy that uke, I play past the 5th maybe once in a blue moon.

Here is a question on a 8 fretted uke, would the frets be spaced out evenly ish or would there be a large gap missing after the 8th fret?

Hi Ukudele, the frets would be spaced exactly as they would be on a twelve fret uke of the same scale length. To cover the distance from the eighth to where the twelfth would have been, I would make the neck shorter and body longer, and probably a completely different shaped body from normal.

It's just a though at the moment, but I'll get around to it eventually, perhaps!

Ukantor.

Here is a question on a 8 fretted uke, would the frets be spaced out evenly ish or would there be a large gap missing after the 8th fret?

I'd place a chord chart where the gap would be.

Top Bottom