Banjolele: removing bridge vs settling strings

Louis0815

Reaction score
Question to the banjolele owners:

Some recommend to remove the bridge when not using the banjolele to avoid stressing the head too much - understood.

But in my experience strings always take some time to keep in tune after being released. How does that go together with removing the bridge? Wouldn't a removed bridge lead to "never settled" strings permanently going out of tune?

Right now I decided to keep the bridge mounted on my Firefly, otherwise the new strings will probably never settle.... But I am still wondering whether this wouldn't damage the head in the long (how long is long?) run.

Never heard of removing the bridge , that's a new one. Mine has been sitting where it is supposed to be for years with no effect I can see. I think you would have more wear and tear on the head from removing the bridge and reinstalling it.

Last edited:
I agree with Pete. Have never removed the bridge from banjos or banjo ukes.

Agreed the others-- I have played banjo for 20 years now and have never removed the bridge except for shipping.

:agree: Good to check these things out here. Some folks out there think all sorts of things are a good idea. Some are, some aren't. This aren't.

Just in case someone thinks I'm making this up ;)

Firefly Setup & Care Instructions said:
[...]
Strings and head will stretch some for the first few weeks so frequent tuning will be required.

For maximum life of the head, we recommend that you keep the bridge turned flat onto the head or removed when not in use and for storage. This will relieve pressure on the head and reduce stretching of the skin.
[...]

Thx for supporting me considering such behavior somewhat counter-productive.

Do Fireflies have a head made of a different material than other banjos? Or might it have something to do with the way the head is attached to the pot?

I can understand removing the bridge for shipping or long term storage (year+), but otherwise it doesn't make much sense to me.

I just looked up a photo of the Firefly and note it has a non-adjustable head. That may be why the bridge thing is recommended, as once the head is stretched or loosened, there appears to be no way to tighten it.

Shipping yeah....anything else....leave it in place

Top Bottom