Non uke related video of some great woodworking

Sven

Reaction score
Yeah this might be far fetched but... if your wife is out with friends, and you don't mind not knowing Swedish, and you enjoy 40 year old footage of a thousand year old tradition then this is a must see. It's an old documentary about three brothers and their father (called Napoleon) building boats with hand tools in a small village of Sweden.

https://youtu.be/6o4Ilg2LICM

Lots of planing, carving and chiseling, in a very low pace. Highlights as I see them are
- ox planing at 1.5 mins
- fitting the stern to the keel at 4.5 mins
- two o'clock coffee at 10 mins
- fitting planks at the stern at 18 mins
- the search for naturally bent tree parts at 22.5 mins
- the frame saw at 27 mins
- the mailman's car at 30 mins

I love the manner in which timber is sourced. Pop out with the chain saw, job done.

Yes, but then it was said they stored the wood for thirty years before building with it!

I started a thread on alternative building woods but it did not pass muster and I thought it was because it was not specifically a uke topic. Now I am confused.

Love that Stanleybörg #5 plane. Been keeping my eye out for one in all the Swedish thrift shops.

Sven would you mind translating just the part where the narrator starts speaking through to the end, where she stops speaking. Thanks!!

Actually, that's a pretty cool video. I really wouldn't mind if we went back to such simpler times. Thx for posting.

I love those videos. There are some stunning ones on youtube. All sorts of master craftsmen.

I saw one once of a Japanese bamboo bow maker. Laminated about 30 thin sheet of bamboo to get the right strength and flex. Awesome skills.

Top Bottom