Favorite Dylan Cover

JJFN

Reaction score
Dylan's songs have been covered by who knows how many artists. What is your favorite? I'm leaning towards Like a Rolling Stone by Hendrix and Knocking on Heaven's Door by Guns n Roses.

Dylan's songs have been covered by who knows how many artists. What is your favorite? I'm leaning towards Like a Rolling Stone by Hendrix and Knocking on Heaven's Door by Guns n Roses.

I like David Bromberg's cover of Wallflower.

This is a song I never believed could be covered well, but The Duhks and Sarah Dugas blew me away with it.

George Harrison "Absolutely Sweet Marie", and of course Hendrix "All Along the Watchtower"

Can't believe I forgot to mention Eric Clapton "Don't Think Twice, It's Allright".................a killer version

Since Jimi's All Along the Watchtower was already mentioned, how about Jerry Garcia & Merl Saunders - Positively 4th street, from the Live at Keystone album
I found it on You Tube along with a few other versions but this is the one I liked best.
It had been a long time since I've heard it, and I thank this thread.
-Vinnie

Tim O'Briens Red on Blonde CD is one of my favorites. I've been listening to it a lot lately with The Wicked Messenger getting lots of repeats.

Cheers
Tim but not O'Brien

Tootler, forgot all about the great PP&M covers. Some interesting responses. Mvinsel never heard Jerry Garcia do Positively 4th St. Great rendition.

Dylan's album "Bob Dylan at Budokan". He covers his own songs in a completely different style.

Well, I can't find the video now, but my fave Bob Dylan cover is a live version of Don't Think Twice, It's Alright, done by Steve Earle. It's not the best of recordings but I love it. He dedicated it to Suze Rotolo. I believe it was right after her passing.

Dylan has many versions of most of his own songs. Some of the covers are nice, but there is nothing like the real thing.
A nice form of ukulele recreation is to shun covers and spending time listening to someone else have all the fun of playing a Dylan tune. Don't let someone else have all the enjoyment, play it yourself and enjoy the fun and challenge. Even better, set the player going with a real Dylan tune, with the volume turned up high, and play along with the real thing.

Agree mate. I took a shot at this one.

Well, I can't find the video now, but my fave Bob Dylan cover is a live version of Don't Think Twice, It's Alright, done by Steve Earle. It's not the best of recordings but I love it. He dedicated it to Suze Rotolo. I believe it was right after her passing.

Can you say "Amen"?

I admit, I'm the only American of my generation who hates Bob Dylan.
No, you're not the only one.

Somewhere I read that Woody Guthrie made the comment that he didn't like Dylan's songs but he just loved the voice.
I'll give Dylan his due as a songwriter, but as a singer I thought he really sucked.

No, you're not the only one.

I'll give Dylan his due as a songwriter, but as a singer I thought he really sucked.

Following that theme, my favourites are 2 that sound especially different from the Dylan originals: Adele's To Make You Feel My Love & Dolly Parton's Don't Think Twice. Usually, when the band I'm in cover something we try to avoid replicating someone else's version of the song, but I thought Dolly's voice in this was perfection, so I do my best to ape her vocal gymnastics when we do our uke version of it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IrwhZf-8Tw8

Dylan has always been controversial both as a singer and a songwriter. I thought his early songs were brilliant but with "Bringing It All Back Home", his songwriting was becoming self indulgent and was losing its edge. He still produced some superb songs but not with the same consistency. I think "Like A Rolling Stone" is overrated.

As a singer, he is definitely an acquired taste but he does sing in tune.

Top Bottom