Where to buy a good baritone ukulele hard shell case?

MX21

Reaction score
Need a good baritone ukulele hard shell case?

I'm trying to find a good hard shell case for my Kala Acacia Baritone that will withstand air travel. Where I fly, we always end up on a puddle jumper that has no overhead bins, so they gate check everything. Maybe ABS? Something with good crush resistance.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Last edited:
I currently have a Cordoba gig bag (very padded) and an unknown brand hard foam nylon covered case.
Do you think the foam hard case is solid enough for gate checking?

With the recent rise in UPS/FedEx dimensional rates and the general increased cost of hard foam cases by manufacturers and distributors, I think the foam case people are slowly pricing themselves out of business.

With the recent rise in UPS/FedEx dimensional rates and the general increased cost of hard foam cases by manufacturers and distributors, I think the foam case people are slowly pricing themselves out of business.

huh? Taking on a plane, not shipping.

I currently have a Cordoba gig bag (very padded) and an unknown brand hard foam nylon covered case.
Do you think the foam hard case is solid enough for gate checking?

I don't trust the luggage handlers that much. I think you're wise to look for a hard case. Suppose a heavy suitcase was tossed on top of it?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_Breaks_Guitars

Of course, those who ship 'ukuleles every day probably have actual data to go on, instead of just my overly cautious nature. ;)

Last edited:
I don't trust the luggage handlers that much. I think you're wise to look for a hard case. Suppose a heavy suitcase was tossed on top of it?

Of course, those who ship 'ukuleles every day probably have actual data to go on, instead of just an overly cautious nature. ;)

Yes, I have concerns about the hard foam case too. So I'm looking for anyone else who has experience with carrying on a baritone ukulele and what they used.

I did it once with the cordoba padded bag (and the cheaper cordoba baritone), but it was a flight where I knew it was only large aircraft with good overhead bins. My next trip I have taken many times and it always requires gate check on the small plane leg of the trip.

I checked out the custom case place, but it gets pretty expensive when you get to the length required for the baritone.

Anyone used something like this: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00NTMU240/ref=ox_sc_act_title_3?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A1PBIMG3LIJ631

Or where can I find an ABS (SKB-like) or fiberglass case? Prefer < $100.

I was just talking in general it's harder to find places that sell hard foam cases.

Maybe we're talking about different things. This is what I'm calling a hard foam case. It's rigid foam with velour lining and a nylon outer shell. I'm seeing them for sale all over the place.

LanikaiUCCConcertUkuleleCase.jpg

Top Bottom