Amazon plays

Icelander53

Reaction score
This is kind of funny. I got a delivery from Amazon yesterday in a big yellow box with two large drawings of a one eyed peanut man playing a ukulele. I think we've made it.

Between the Minions movie coming out soon and the Pixar short "Lava" there may be an influx of little ones (and slightly older ones...) picking up the uke!

Yet another Icelander thread? Important "Uke Talk".

This is kind of funny. I got a delivery from Amazon yesterday in a big yellow box with two large drawings of a one eyed peanut man playing a ukulele. I think we've made it.

Sorry, but I dont get the joke. Maybe I'm a bit dense now. :(

Sorry, but I dont get the joke. Maybe I'm a bit dense now. :(

look at wcbarnes avatar.

Minions1-e1414802414657.jpg

The minions from the animated movies are like.. walking tictac's with 1 eye.

I'm hopeful that uke is still spreading. The local music store seems to turn over stock fairly quickly.
And today, I saw a youngster walking around the park in front of my work with a uke.
My first wild uke sighting in my area.

Last edited:
Ok, since we are on the topic of ukes in popular media...there is an excellent new series on Netflix called Sense8 which is written and produced by The Wachowski Brothers (of The Matrix Trilogy movies, among others), whereby I think it was in the 5th or 6th episode, the father of one of the main characters, who apparently is world-famous musician from Iceland (for concert piano) in the show, is first seen busking in the subway (for fun apparently), and later sitting in the hospital waiting room, both times playing ukulele...

I took two screen captures when I saw him in the hospital playing:

sJ3bqsU.png

and closer:

izppBNQ.png

All 12 episodes of Season 1 of the show are up on Netflix for streaming now since June 5th or so...

At first glance it looks to me like a Lankai LU21-S, but I could be wrong on that. :)

look at wcbarnes avatar.

View attachment 80952

The minions from the animated movies are like.. walking tictac's with 1 eye.

I'm hopeful that uke is still spreading. The local music store seems to turn over stock fairly quickly.
And today, I saw a youngster walking around the park in front of my work with a uke.
My first wild uke sighting in my area.

BTW- I really liked the first 'Despicable Me', but I have not yet seen the second one. Great movie IMHO. :)

Thanks Booli I'm always looking for a good series to watch on Netflix.

Ok, since we are on the topic of ukes in popular media...there is an excellent new series on Netflix called Sense8 which is written and produced by The Wachowski Brothers (of The Matrix Trilogy movies, among others), whereby I think it was in the 5th or 6th episode, the father of one of the main characters, who apparently is world-famous musician from Iceland (for concert piano) in the show, is first seen busking in the subway (for fun apparently), and later sitting in the hospital waiting room, both times playing ukulele...

I took two screen captures when I saw him in the hospital playing:

sJ3bqsU.png

and closer:

izppBNQ.png

All 12 episodes of Season 1 of the show are up on Netflix for streaming now since June 5th or so...

At first glance it looks to me like a Lankai LU21-S, but I could be wrong on that. :)

Thanks Booli I'm always looking for a good series to watch on Netflix.

Anytime! I should warn you though, this is definitely NOT a show for children as it is a bit, shall we say 'gritty' and very much a reflection of the diversity in the world today, and the diverse peoples, in as much that it may offend some folks who are more 'conservative' in their views.

Also, without giving any spoilers, there are many different (and seemingly disconnected) story lines, that seem to be chaotic at first, but if you stick with it through to about the 4th and 5th episodes, these disparate threads start to become a tapestry, and then the fabric of the overall story starts to make sense to the viewer.

There's also another new series on Netflix called 'Between' but stylized as 'BETWE3N', that is also very good too.

Netflix is putting out some good stuff. I can't wait for the next season of their 'Daredevil' series! :)

Are you getting tired of me? You can always skip my threads. It's very simple.

Well, I never am. Keep 'em coming. Some days this place is like a morque. I look forward to your threads Ice! Don't hold anything back! :shaka:

Wow! Thank you sir. It's very lonely uke wise out here and I get my uke talk here and almost nowhere else. Plus I'm retarded (retired) so I have time on my hands and I'm also pretty sick now so I have trouble getting far from home unless it's a doc app. or some nonsense. So this place really fills an important role for me. I guess that bugs some people that I'm here so much but it just seems so much easier to just ignore a thread you're not interested. That post stung a little. I really don't think I deserved it but what do I know.

Anyway thanks for the support. It means a lot to me actually .

My 4 year old granddaughter Stella has seen both "Despicable Me" movies, and I asked her if a minion would play a ukulele. She said "yes" - so there you go. :)

Bill

Yet another Icelander thread? Important "Uke Talk".

You go, Ice. I read all of your threads. This guy Steve can go buzz off as far as I'm concerned. If I wanted to know *his* (LOL) thoughts or impressions, I'd go read the Walsh/King book or the Unofficial Martin Guitar Forum, where he gets all the info he purports to *know*. He may consider himself a historian of sorts, but he really doesn't bring anything worth reading to the table. The above quoted post ought to be grounds for sanction, in my opinion. It's all fun and games when one takes shots at unassuming, innocent victims, huh? Keep doing your thing and don't let weasels get to you, buddy. -- Matt

Last edited:
OK folks I don't want to start any negative discussion on anyone here. That's not why I'm here. I have no hard feelings toward anyone.

OK folks I don't want to start any negative discussion on anyone here. That's not why I'm here. I have no hard feelings toward anyone.

Amen to that. Just calling out the obvious as always. Certain things don't need to be said, but when they are, I have no problem pointing it out. This thread turned out to be quite interesting to me, so I can easily sit back from afar and enjoy, at this point. Carry on, all.

Ice, I never tire of your writings here. You are one of the nicest kindest people here. I'm sorry you don't feel well, I'm gonna beam you some love and light now!
Just be yourself, and write about the stuff you care about. You always come up with the coolest things to say about ukulele...

Even though the target audience of the movie seems to be children, I am sure it is full of ambiguous comments which adults will appreciate.
The movie is rated PG, which is a growing trend with animated films ostensibly aimed at kids these days. Hire big stars (like Sandra Bullock, John Hamm, Michael Keaton) to do the voices, throw in a little risque humor and double entendres (that will fly over most kids' heads) and you get a movie parents can enjoy, too.

Plus, it's cheaper to buy a child's ticket or two and take your kids with you than it is to hire a sitter so mom and dad can go see an R-rated movie without them.

You go, Ice. I read all of your threads. This guy Steve can go buzz off as far as I'm concerned. If I wanted to know *his* (LOL) thoughts or impressions, I'd go read the Walsh/King book or the Unofficial Martin Guitar Forum, where he gets all the info he purports to *know*. He may consider himself a historian of sorts, but he really doesn't bring anything worth reading to the table. The above quoted post ought to be grounds for sanction, in my opinion. It's all fun and games when one takes shots at unassuming, innocent victims, huh? Keep doing your thing and don't let weasels get to you, buddy. -- Matt

Hey Now!

Let's not go completely off the rails here. Maybe that post was an attempt at sarcastic humor? i.e., A facetious comment, trying to be 'cute' or funny, and it just missed the mark with the audience here.

Maybe we should not crucify someone so quickly. Maybe we can take a breath and give him the benefit of the doubt. Nobody is perfect, and those that believe they are, can just sit back and enjoy the fantasy. Why not? YOLO!

:shaka:

Ice Ice baby...da dun da, dun da da da....Ice Ice baby...:music:

Top Bottom