NUD Koaloha Opio tenor

Icelander53

Reaction score
Just arrived this morn. It's really got a big sound and the Fremont blacklines sound just right to my ear first playing. I haven't used it amped yet but I'll be likely adding to this over the next couple of days. But let it be known I'm more than satisfied so far. Did i mention it's purty?

Very cool! These have been much anticipated by many.

Just arrived this morn. It's really got a big sound and the Fremont blacklines sound just right to my ear first playing. I haven't used it amped yet but I'll be likely adding to this over the next couple of days. But let it be known I'm more than satisfied so far. Did i mention it's purty?

So I've been playing with it amped and boy that's nice. With my other pickups you can always tell when you are amped. Not so with this one (MISI). It sounds wonderful and I'll use the amp with this one a lot. The more I play this the better it sounds. It's soooo nice when you get it right. Thanks to Andrew for convincing me to try it and the guys at the shop for the fantastic setup and pickup install. The other thing I'm really impressed with is the tuners. They are the smoothest nicest looking tuners on any uke I own. I consider this uke a super deal. It's the one uke that I've always wanted to own since I first heard and saw them. Now I can go a happy man.

So I've been playing with it amped and boy that's nice. With my other pickups you can always tell when you are amped. Not so with this one (MISI). It sounds wonderful and I'll use the amp with this one a lot. The more I play this the better it sounds. It's soooo nice when you get it right. Thanks to Andrew for convincing me to try it and the guys at the shop for the fantastic setup and pickup install. The other thing I'm really impressed with is the tuners. They are the smoothest nicest looking tuners on any uke I own. I consider this uke a super deal. It's the one uke that I've always wanted to own since I first heard and saw them. Now I can go a happy man.

Man this is sooooo great to hear. I was holding my breath.......just a little. I know you are very honest and seeing as I had a bit of a hand in talking you into this I am releaved you like it. I am very interested in what you had to say about the MISI pick up, sounds like a winner. You can never go to far wrong listening to Andrew.........go figure ;)

Until there are pics, it's just a dream. ;-)

Congratulations....... I must have listened to the Koa vrs Opio ten times and while there is a difference....... I don't think that much. I also thought the Sapele wood look very cool and even grained. You said pretty ..........and from comments looks like you like the sound and feel. I'm glad to hear about the tuners. I was considering going to UPT's if I get one..... now I will wait and see. I really want to try KoAloha 15 fret neck joint....... I've only help one Koa in my short exposure but didn't get a real chance to play it Looking forward to sound samples. I 'm ready to pull the trigger.
Pictures............ <g>
Thanks

Until there are pics, it's just a dream. ;-)

Yes it is a dream for you. A beautiful dream full of longing.

I'll see what I can do about a pic. Or better yet just go hear one on the Uke site. They sound pretty good. Of course mine has different strings but other than that.

Man this is sooooo great to hear. I was holding my breath.......just a little. I know you are very honest and seeing as I had a bit of a hand in talking you into this I am releaved you like it. I am very interested in what you had to say about the MISI pick up, sounds like a winner. You can never go to far wrong listening to Andrew.........go figure ;)

Yes you certainly had a hand in this and just this time I'm going to thank you. ;) The MISI is awesome. It's so much cleaner and natural sounding than any of my other pickups. When I was playing at one point I had to go over and check the amp because it sounded just like the uke itself. I was immediately impressed and a little glad. So thanks Dave.

sorry about the pic being sideways.

So now I have had it for several days and I've played it a LOT. This is an exceptional value for the money and sounds fantastic to my ear. Thanks to those who encouraged this purchase.

Congrats. I have the concert Opio. I used to have a Koaloha concert as well. Playing them side by side, they had a certain similarity. The Sapele was warmer and the individual strings not quite as distinct. I found myself reaching for the Sapele all the time and never playing the Koa so I sold the Koa.

I've never tried the tenor, but I'm sure its very nice.

Congratulations Ice, glad to hear that you like it. I have ordered one right away, too, but mine hasn't even left the store yet. Your comments show me that it will be worth the wait.

My Opio Tenor has arrived this morning. I could only give it a very short test drive, but liked it a lot. Will do a more extensive review later on this week.

Congratulations Ice, glad to hear that you like it. I have ordered one right away, too, but mine hasn't even left the store yet. Your comments show me that it will be worth the wait.

I guess I'm on the spot now. ;) But I'm not concerned.

Ordered mine yesterday. I guess I'll be waiting a week or two cause they are backed up ...... but I'm excited. Love to see more pics and your review Rakelele.
Now we wait.......<g>

OK I've been playing this Opio almost nonstop since it arrived. I'm going to have to fess up and admit it makes ALL my other Ukes sound a bit dull and lifeless and nothing else is near as articulate and accurate up and down the neck. And these strings, why is there not more buzz about these superb strings? (Fremont) I'm blown away by this Uke and especially for the price I paid. WOW!

Last edited:
Top Bottom