uke neck straps?

Recstar24

Reaction score
Just wondering what people use out their for straps that hook into the soundhole and don't require buttons installed. One, for my personal use on a Mainland tenor, but also what would be some lower cost options to get for my student class ukes, about 30 of them.

I tried one of those straps and because I had to always keep hold of the uke, I gave it up. I now add 2 strap buttons to all of my ukes (and basses) so that I don't have think about them falling inadvertently.

I use a uke leash. Invented by Lori who's a member here. It's a half strap that loops round your arm or belt and attaches to the headstock.

http://ukeleash.com

I tried one of those straps and because I had to always keep hold of the uke, I gave it up. I now add 2 strap buttons to all of my ukes (and basses) so that I don't have think about them falling inadvertently.

Thanks! Not quite feasible in my classroom though with 30 ukes I don't think.

I went to Hobby Lobby and bought a spool of curtain cord. Tie a knot around the end pin, tie another around the head stock. It works fine and gives you a strap for about $3

I've tried a few alternatives and finally gave up on the clever ones. I just put a strap button on as an end pin and tied the other end around the headstock behind the nut. You can order respectable strap buttons on Ebay from China for $1 each or less with free shipping. The "packet" shipping from China works pretty well. Put the right drill bit in a cordless drill and you could do 30 ukes in less than an hour. Drill a pilot hole first. When you install a strap button you are screwing into the uke's end-block and that's not going to hurt a thing. Having an end pin opens up the option to use standard straps, which you can find very reasonably priced -- or even make.

OR, if you want the hook into the sound hole thing and you can wait a bit for shipping, search EBay for "Black Adjustable 46-74cm Nylon Ukulele Strap Sling With Hook For Ukulele Guitar" -- $.99 each, free shipping.

Last edited:
The Mobius Strap gives completely hands-free support without any modification to the instrument. Check them out at http://www.mobiusstrap.com.

I'm quite happy with the Uke Leash, and have one for each of my ukuleles. I play mostly while seated, and my biggest issue was having to support the neck. I spent more concentration and attention on supporting the neck than I did on fingering the chords, and that made it fairly frustrating. The body of the uke sitting on my leg or being lightly held by the right harm works well for me, but the neck was a pain. I notice improvements now, and the dependency on the Uke Leash seems to decrease, but it was definitely the best purchase I made.

Personally, I'd not use something that hooks into the soundhole. I'd worry about the soundhole getting damaged, though I don't know if that is a reasonable concern.

I've always been a bit wary of a strap that hooks into a sound hole but I've noticed a number of pros use them so I've just ordered one to give it a try. I ordered mine from Omega music. They're in the UK as am I and they're very good to deal with. I've used them on a number of occasions.

I used a uke leash, and then got a uke with an endpin pickup. I then bought the uke leash guitar endpin adaptor and use it both ways, depending on which uke I'm playing.

If it's so the students do not drop them on the floor, the Uke Leash actually secures to one shoulder.

I use a uke leash and a uke thong. The uke thong clips in the sound hole, but will not prevent a student from dropping them. Ric

I use Fremont strap for soundhole. At $20 they are top quality. No balance issues because when I have them on I am playing. Two years and no wear to any of my ukulele sound holes. I think ukulele thong linked above is same idea, sound hole hook made on heavier re in forced cloth. Great value I would think!

Personally, I'd not use something that hooks into the soundhole. I'd worry about the soundhole getting damaged, though I don't know if that is a reasonable concern.

It's not. I've been using a thong for years, with all my strapless ukes, and I've never had the slightest wear on any soundhole, nor do my thongs show any parts wear themselves.

I too have often been concerned that a thong would damage my ukulele. This is good feedback.

Due to my concerns pertaining to the thong strap, I opted for the Mobius strap as well. Since I only use it when standing, I haven't encountered the issue with the strap hitting the strings when sitting.

My only issue with the Mobius strap is the time it takes to switch it from one uke to the next. It's not too much of an effort, but the thong would be much easier (I switch-out my ukuleles frequently). The good thing about the Mobius strap is the stability it provides and the fact that you don't have to be concerned with your uke falling

My thoughts: Using a "Thong" or "Classical" type or "Hook" type strap is scary for a classroom. You have solid top ukuleles. I don't think it would be safe for the instruments.
You can get end pins for very little money at a local guitar shop, or look at this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Durable...306?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_2&hash=item19fed2b97a
80 cents w\ free shipping.
With end pin installed (you can do this yourself. I'd be happy to stop by and do them with you.) any strap or chord or shoe lace can be made to work.

Strap pins are really the way to go. Would take about 3 minutes per uke to do really. I put one on my Luna concert because every strap I tried just didn't cut it till I added a strap button.

Thanks Steve and everyone for the nice recommendations. For class setting, I don't think the hook style will be best as many of you have mentioned. I've brought 20 of my class ukes home so Steve you are invited to come over and help, as well as restring ;)

Lori has been gracious enough to send me a sample of her uke leash, excited at the idea of a stabilized neck, for me but also with my students neck instability seems to be the biggest issue. I do like the custom straps from souldier and being from Chicago I think is cool...

Those uke thongs are definitely excellent value! Wish they had some other print designs.

Top Bottom