What tips does anybody have for building micro ukeleles?

UkAlele

Reaction score
Hi UU,

I've just finished stringing up my first micro ukelele build. What a fascinating process and highly enjoyable to make. I'd recommend it to anyone looking for a new hobby.

Since I'm hooked on building ukes, can anybody give any tips of wisdom for micro ukelele building. I've attached photos of the itsybitsyuke and I've got to learn how to play such a small instrument.

Thanks

Uk-Al-lele

DSC_0377.jpg
DSC_0379.jpg
DSC_0380.jpg
DSC_0381.jpg
DSC_0381.jpg
DSC_0382.jpg

Great job! I'd certainly like to hear that! It must have been very fiddly to make.
I've never made anything like it, but I'm guessing you'd need to make everything about 100% thinner than you think you need to if you want any sound to come out of it. How thick did you make the top?

What tips does anybody have for building micro ukeleles?

Make them really ,really ,really small ?

Coat please .......

Hi Peter,

Thanks for the kind comment. It was very fiddly to make but not excessively. The most difficult part of building it was that I had no plan to follow.

I am trying to create a new career direction for myself and am totally determined to learn how to become a skilled luthier. It is going to be a long process but I'm sticking with it. I've been collecting different types of ukes and draw inspiration and ideas from the differences you find between the individual ukes.

Through studying the instruments I created the itsybitsyuke idea which is really cute. It's interesting how through pursuing the idea and discussing how to improve it is beginning to create an interest around the product. Two people have asked me to make them one.

The itsybitsyuke is 2mm thick, but the next design will be 1.75mm thick. The sound is good,a bit chiming and it's tuned GCEA. It's made from Oak, mahogany, rosewood rosewood, cedar and a heart emblem made from driftwood collected from the wild Pembrokeshire beaches in Wales U.K.

I've ensured the neck in the next one is slightly longer to enable people with King Kong hands like me to have a more accommodating fretboard. As the design evolves I am aiming to make it fully playable but as realistically small as possible.

I get loads of inspiration and tips from the UU and am very grateful to all who reply to my postings.

If anybody would like to know more about my work or the itsybitsyuke, then you can contact me at:

Itsybitsyuke@Gmail.com

Regards

Uk-Al-lele

Last edited:
Hi Ceejay

Only problem when they get to small you just cannot play them, but then in saying that there probably is a person who plays micro ukes amazingly well and would make it look effortless.

What do you mean by... "Coat please"?

Regards

Uk-Al-lele

Hi Ceejay

Only problem when they get to small you just cannot play them, but then in saying that there probably is a person who plays micro ukes amazingly well and would make it look effortless.

What do you mean by... "Coat please"?

Regards

Uk-Al-lele

It's a line from the Fast Show (UK) ...make a bad joke ...get your coat and leave ...

"I'll get me coat "

Never Mind.

And I once played "Aint She Sweet ?" on one of those tiny ukes ....they don't arf make you squint to see the strings and frets....not my cup of tea at all.....

Would anyone be interested in me posting a sound check and then developmental feedback could be given?

Would anyone be interested in me posting a sound check and then developmental feedback could be given?

Definitely!
2mm does sound rather thick to me. That's how thick I made the top of the concert I'm building at the moment. Of course when you get that small, I guess the physics of the thing change dramatically. I would imagine you'd want the whole body to vibrate as a unit, rather than the soundboard and back vibrating independently. Maybe thicker would help that...
I'm kind of talking off the top of my head here though! :confused:

My tip would be to choose a recognizable shape before scaling it down. I've made a few micro ukes and I think their raison d'être is being miniature versions of larger instruments. It's fiddly to bend a minuscule figure eight body though so you'd might want to start with a pineapple shape.

Here's a pic of two minis I made in 2013, next to a piccolo uke which in itself is very tiny with its scale length of 280 mm. Can't remember the scale of the minis right now.

More pics can be found at my blog, June 2013 seems to have been the month.

blogger-image--1123343969.jpg

If you are going to stick with the narrow head just wind the outside strings in the opposite direction to normal. They stay inline better. The only problem is that you have to get your brain used to tuning in the wrong direction and then back in the right direction on your other Ukes.
See instructables for my pocket uke and making a uke with a pocket knife instructions for more ideas.

Sounds a good idea. I'll give it a go, but first I'm going strawberry picking and yes I'm taking the itsybitsyuke with me. I've learnt songs for it and will record videos of playing. Songs include: If you're happy and you know it... Plus... I wanna be like you from the Jungle Book. I might be a novice ukelele player but am an expert strawberry picker... I'll post videos shortly...

Regards

Uk-Al-lele

Top Bottom