Please help me buy my first Ukulele

sagrr

Reaction score
I play guitar and trumpet, and I'm interested in learning the fine arts of the ukulele.

I have what would be considered a weak budget. $100 to $150 at the most. I haven't decided on soprano/tenor/bari. I know that I wan't a dark, deeper tone from my instrument.

i can't think of what else to include. please ask me questions

thanks in advance

I haven't decided on soprano/tenor/bari. I know that I wan't a dark, deeper tone from my instrument.

Well hearing that PLUS you play guitar I would definitely go with the tenor size. I personally chose this route. You will find it refreshing to play coming from a large guitar neck and easy to transfer over to. The added frets will help you get more notes and you will be right at home. Also would recommend you string it low g(low g top string as opposed to high g top string) and you'll get more of those notes your familiar with.

that sounds like a deal. i was leaning towards the tenor to begin with

With $150 budget, you wont have too many choices for a tenor or even a Concert. Check out Musicguymic in ebay.. He will probably be your best bet for a new Ukulele. Or keep your eye out for used ones.

Sopranos are cheaper in general,so if you would decide on soprano,you might be able to get a better quality instrument for your money.

Whatever size you decide for your budget,I'd try to get a good laminate with a solid wood top.All solid is probably out of your price range unless you get a good used one.

I was in your situation just last week! I ended up purchasing a Ohana SK-50WG uke thanks to the recommendations of two gentlemen, Ken Middleton and MGM. Bought it from MGM after shopping at a local shop. My shop didn't have the selection that I wanted, so I went online instead for my uke.

I did tons of researching on these boards and read so many times that solid wood is best. I also decided that I need a case, but a ukulele within your price range, so I thought I had to spend at least $200 for the whole outfit. I ended up spending around that much.

I also went with soprano, because I like my ukulele cute-sized!

i think i can deal with a soprano then. can i still be looking for a darker, more serious tone?

The smaller the body the less "darker/fuller" the tone, your most basic solid sopranos will never have the sound of your tenors, just how it is.

As you can see here there are a couple different tenor's you could go with under 150$
http://search.stores.ebay.com/Music...0RoomQQfsooZ2QQfsopZ3QQsaselZ34517586QQsofpZ0

Check the link to the video clip in this items description to hear one:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Brand-New-Kala-...16224QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1713.m153.l1262

And if you insist on not getting a tenor, a concert would probably have more of that sound your looking for then a soprano, they are after all the middle guys, and there are also a couple here under 150
http://search.stores.ebay.com/Music...0RoomQQfsooZ2QQfsopZ3QQsaselZ34517586QQsofpZ0

Yes you will probably get a nicer uke if you go with soprano but judging by your original post(ex: playing guitar) and you continued want for a specific tone I would either save my money or buy one of the guys above.

Just as a note, mahogany has a richer deeper tone as oppose to spruce top which is a bit more brighter/livelier

Last edited:
as far as the guitar deal, i don't think i'll have too much trouble adjusting to a smaller neck. also, a soprano sounds nice just because its more portable. I'd absolutely loove to be able to carry it places easily, and since I don't have a car, the soprano has that plus.

Are concerts cheaper than tenors? From what you said, I'm thinking mahogany concert ~ $100

is it possible to find a decent one?

so, i was planning on hitting up McCabe's http://www.mccabes.com/ today. anyone have any experience with the place?

I was hoping to get a couple models that I could ask to try out, and see where it goes from there. Any quick names that someone can throw out? I guess both concert and soprano for the time being.

Any of the Kala KA-series are good, now they are not a solid wood Uke but a Laminate (plywood), they make a great 1st or backpack/travel Uke.
Sure solid sounds better but ....$$$$$
Don't worry to much about Solid vs Lam cuz if you like the Uke you will be getting others!!!!!

I have both the Soprano KA-S and the Tenor KA-T(not the Gloss) and I still play them alot even thou I have "better"(more expensive Pono, KoAloha) Ukes that never see the sunshine for fear of cracking in Denvers LOW humidity.
There is no way on earth that I would put my KoAloha Soprano in my backpack.

The KA-C would fit the bill nicely for what you are asking for. Plays well, sounds good and built for the backpack.
http://cgi.ebay.com/KALA-BRAND-KA-C...5|66:2|65:12|39:1|240:1318|301:1|293:1|294:50

if your willing to spend a little bit more, you can get two great tenors with pickups from elderly or mgm...
KALA SPRUCE SERIES TENOR UKULELE WITH CUTAWAY AND PICKUP

LANIKAI S-SERIES TENOR UKULELE W/PICKUP

the quality of sound is actually more important to me than the size. I'd rather have a solid top. Pickup's aren't too important for me. The amp that I have access to for the time being sucks.

I honestly won't be able to afford a new ukulele for at least three years. I have no doubt that I will enjoy it (It won't be a sunk cost because I lost interest).

Therefore, I wanna buy the best ukulele right possible right now. So I figure I should at least look into getting a solid top, I'm guessing it should be Mahogany...

As for concert vs. soprano, I'll take the concert if its cheap enough. I'm too scared to buy a tenor now because its too expensive for the quality. Buying another ukulele for me later just isn't an option as I'm a poor student, and in 3 years when I'm not a poor student, I'll be throat deep in debt.

So it looks to me right now that I should be looking into Kalas and Ohanas because they seem to be the best value according to you guys.

McCabes http://www.mccabes.com/ , the store I mentioned earlier stocks a lot of the Ohanas and not very many Kalas (no sopranos, and one concert). Should I go there to try them out? (It's an 11 mile bike ride)

I purchased a new Ohana CK-20S for under $150 including shipping and tax but I can't remember from where. It sounds much better than my $40 SK-10S, but the SK has done alot more traveling and straps to my backpack.

Top Bottom