PDA

View Full Version : What the heck are "mmaj" chords?

WKerrigan
06-27-2015, 08:44 AM
Trying to learn Glen Campbell's "Gentle on My Mind" from some chords n the ultimate guitar website.

There are a number of chords I can't simply fnd on my uke chord apps.

What are these chords?

Dmmaj
Dmmaj7
Dmaj7

Does mmaj stand for minor major? Does that even make sense? If D is a major chord, then is Dmaj7 just another way of writing D7.

Any help appreciated.

http://tabs.ultimate-guitar.com/g/glen_campbell/gentle_on_my_mind_ver3_crd.htm

Tootler
06-27-2015, 09:28 AM
A D7 chord is a D chord to which you add a flat 7th.

A D chord has the notes D F# A to make a D7 you add a flat 7 which is a C so a D7 is D F# A C
A major 7th adds a "sharp 7" rather than a flat 7 so for Dmaj7 you would add a C# to a D chord so you get D F# A C#
You can finger a Dmaj7 in a C tuned ukulele as 2224

By analogy, a Dm7 is D F A C so a Dmmaj7 would be D F A C#. On a C tuned ukulele that would be 2214 (An interesting chord)

Similarly C7 is C E G Bb, Cmaj7 C E G B and Cmmaj7 C Eb G B
and G7 is G B D F, Gmaj7 C B G F# and Gmmaj7 G Bb D F#
and so on.

I'm sure others will chip in with all the theory behind it but I've deliberately avoided that for now.

Brad Bordessa
06-27-2015, 09:36 AM
Tootler is right on it. It's pretty weird.

Just want to add that it's called a "minor-major7" so people don't get confused by the "mm". Usually it's notated m/M7 or min/maj7 or m(maj7), etc...

Tootler
06-27-2015, 09:52 AM
Tootler is right on it. It's pretty weird.

While I was typing my answer, I tried it. It was interesting/weird. Chords like these can be useful for effect as long as they're not overdone.

WKerrigan
06-27-2015, 10:19 AM
Thanks Hippie Guy and Tootler!

ubulele
06-27-2015, 04:29 PM
Just remember that "m", "mi" and "min" mean a minor 3rd (default is a major one), whereas "M", "ma" and "maj" mean a major 7th (default is a minor one), even when the following number is 9, 11 or 13 instead of 7. [The 9th and 13th are major by default: A9 has a major 9th and minor 7th, per the defaults. The 11th, like the 4th, is "perfect"—no major/minor counterparts.]

And as you've seen, "min" always precedes "maj" when both are used together.