New LfdM build in progress

DownUpDave

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
UPDATED New LfdM build in progress

UPDATE JULY 3rd MORE PICTURES ADDED......SEE POST #30

UPDATE JULY 11 MORE PICTURES ADDED......SEE POSTS #41, 42, 43

Some of you might know that I am having a LfdM built and Luis has started earlier than expected. This is a very pleasant surprise and although it is 4-6 weeks from expected completion I thought some pictures would be nice. I always enjoyed others build treads.

Tenor with cutaway
Sitka spruce top, Amazon rosewood back and sides
Radius fret board
Sound port
Laskin armrest
Spaltted maple rosette

There is a hand written inscription on the inside of the top, makes it very personal. I will be passing this one on to other generations

LfdM top inscription.jpgLfdM top bracing.jpgLfdM first pics.jpgLfdM spaltted maple rossette.jpg

Last edited:
LfdM Top & box.jpgLfdM Amazon Rosewood back.jpgLfdM Back label.jpg

Luis askes that you name your instrument so please meet "Sofia".........in pieces, but her beauty is already evident. The last picture shows the inside of the back with a coat of finish. It really illustrates how the color and grain just POP when finish has been applied.

Last edited:
Looking good Dave! I really like the inscription on the inside of the top.

The red purfling is the perfect color complement to the multicolor spalted rosette.

Very nice, D-U-D. I've yet to see or play an LfdM in person but have spent far too much time enjoying them virtually online. Definitely on my "some day" list. Can't wait to hear your thoughts once you get it!

Looking really good Dave. The Laskin armrest will be special. If/when I order another custom it will have to have the Laskin. Won't be long. The nice thing is you won't have to wait for shipping.

@Thanks Cam, I am indeed very lucky. The fact Luis lives 20 minutes away from me is such a treat.

@Hodge, the rossette and red purfing was Luis idea. I have left a lot of these decisions to him. Let the artist have his head.

@Eddie I feel if you ever do hold one you would be very tempted to order one. I see you have broken your rule regarding only owning three ukes at the same time. With your stable I could see it would be impossible to sell any of them. That Hive is out of this world.

Last edited:
@Jenny, the whole process of building a uke is just incredible, she'll be a looker

@ Patrick I have been fortunate to visit with Luis and play 7-8 of his instruments. They are all incredible, you can't go wrong. The Laskin armrest is so much more beneficial than you would think it is at first glance. When I first saw his instruments I was not sure about it but play one and you are a believer. He has such exacting standards and is such a high quality individual. He really cares.

@Kathryn there are some details not yet shown that will really add to it's beauty. In all truthfulness I think spruce is way down the list on the looks department. When you see flaming koa, sinker redwood, ribboned mahogany, even western red cedar, etc then spruce looks pretty plain. But Luis is adding some touches to help.

Last edited:
@Eddie I feel if you ever do hold one you would be very tempted to order one. I see you have broken your rule regarding only owning three ukes at the same time. With your stable I could see it would be impossible to sell any of them. That Hive is out of this world.

The Uke Limit Rule was my wife's request for a period of time. It was was 2, then 2-3. And finally there is no hard number, but I won't push too far. I can't see owning too many more than what I can play regularly. But there are so many wonderful builders out there I can't own them all at the same time. And yes, parting with any of the ones I have would be hard. But I am finding since I got the Kinnard that it gets virtually all my play time. The large-body soprano is just the perfect size for me. All my ukes have wonderful tone. But the tenors are just a little big for me, so while I absolutely agree the Hive is out of this world in all regards, I don't play it as much yet. So yesterday I switched it to High G and will dedicate more time to that beautiful uke over the next week. That, and I'll try to grow my hands. ;-)

Last edited:
Congratulations my friend, I am so happy for you! And I am glad that I get to see your uke being built and participate in your anticipation. I just know that this is going to be a wonderful instrument.

Congratulations my friend, I am so happy for you! And I am glad that I get to see your uke being built and participate in your anticipation. I just know that this is going to be a wonderful instrument.

Thanks Rainer. It is fun anticipating what pictures Luis will send next and what progress is being made. Just the fact that your avatar is a LfdM when you own so many other high end ukuleles speaks volumes.

I might just have to visit him one day next week............with camera in hand :eek:

So are you and Simon going to have a battle of LfDM's direct from Canada? Maybe a PPV special?

You're in good hands. Hope to visit him one day!

If you are ever up this way make sure you let myself and "sam13" know. Would love to show you around Toronto and play some music together. You would truely enjoy your time spent with Luis, that alone is worth the trip.

Last edited:
@ Stan, I will certainly have happy strummings, thank you. Do you own a LfdM.........I am lead to believe you have one of everything and 3 of the ones you really like ;)

@Rasspy me having a LfdM smack down with Simon is like David vs Goliath, the guys 6'7". I could maybe take him out at the knees. We have been talking about doing some kind of performance together with both LfdM's. Maybe throw something up on youtube, that will be a long ways off though.

Last edited:
My next door neighbor, Luke Ridnour, was just traded to the Toronto Raptors basketball team. He was traded 5 times in a week. Well at least he's still playin' pro ball.

Looking forward to the finish of your LFDM Dave.

You are going to love it. Luis makes ukes that are absolutely top drawer, as good as anyone's.

Sophia IS sweet looking already ... Dave let me tag along to see the build in progress ... when making my choices on Bella, Luis had 5 Ukes on the wall to try out ... and after playing the Sitka top with Redwood back I wanted to place a second order for a Ukulele on the spot. The tone will be very sweet to the ears.

Luis wouldn't let me ... lol.

Top Bottom