EDGLESS UKULELE, my first

RITCHIE UKULELE

Reaction score
For sometime now,we have been building ukes with our own method by directly cutting the shape of the sides using a traditional bandsaw from a 50mm thick wood.

Just recently, we managed to rout the edges of the uke body with round corner bit. We are amazed by this new discovery, and indetify them " EDGELESS UKULELES".

With such method, we can now form a variety of shapes for the uke body.

Importantly, we have achieved the best quality of accoustic sound on all our EDGELESS UKULELES. We now amplify them with the best pick up available in the market today as an option.

What's the best pick up available? Am looking at pu's.

I'm pretty sure cutting out the shape of the instrument from a solid block is not new. Perhaps your shape is. Looking forward to photos.

What's the best pick up available? Am looking at pu's.

I'm pretty sure cutting out the shape of the instrument from a solid block is not new. Perhaps your shape is. Looking forward to photos.

Thanks for the reply. Hope you can provide some photos also of ukes cut from a solid block.

By the way, we can make about 8 ukes from one solid block from biggest to smallest.

Attachments

• Edgeless_Ukuleles-FBCover-062215C.jpg
    Edgeless_Ukuleles-FBCover-062215C.jpg
    16.5 KB · Views: 132
  • 2015_brochure_uke_rocky 2 for FB.jpg
    2015_brochure_uke_rocky 2 for FB.jpg
    8.5 KB · Views: 114
yeah it not new, its just more waste is created by this method. unless your is a solid body?

With this direct cut method, we make about 8 ukes from one solid block. Then, we can round the edgess while maintaining its accoustic sound. Thanks...

Direct cut method refers to the sides of the uke body.That is why, we produce so many sides in one solid block. Thnks...

For Uke Pick Up, we are using 5.0 LR Braggs or similar technology. We always discourage making many holes. Thnks...

Great work Ritchie
They look great and you look like you are having a great time making them.
Keep on rocking.
Try not to claim all your ideas are new though. People have been making stringed instruments for a very long time and there are not a lot of new ideas under the sun, even if you think you are the first. Odds are there was someone making them like that in Japan in the 50s or the Tahitians are making them like that now. This part of the forum is full of really knowledgeable guys who really know their stuff and share that knowledge freely and a few ignorant clowns like me who share our ignorance freely.Share and enjoy.

I built a bunch of Stratocoustic guitars with this method 30 years ago. I still use this kind of side construction for wooden head banjos, though I lay up a big block-built rim first and then cut sides in shrinking sizes. Rigel Mandolins used to use this technique too for their rims, though of course they didn't cut the inner block into smaller mandos. Its a fun way to build. Much easier to form the horns on electric guitar shapes than to make sharp bends with traditional side construction.

We have the Fruit Salad Collection of Ukes with all-solid wood side.

Attachments

• 2014_uke fruit salad collection brochure.jpg
    2014_uke fruit salad collection brochure.jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 17
Great work Ritchie
They look great and you look like you are having a great time making them.
Keep on rocking.
Try not to claim all your ideas are new though. People have been making stringed instruments for a very long time and there are not a lot of new ideas under the sun, even if you think you are the first. Odds are there was someone making them like that in Japan in the 50s or the Tahitians are making them like that now. This part of the forum is full of really knowledgeable guys who really know their stuff and share that knowledge freely and a few ignorant clowns like me who share our ignorance freely.Share and enjoy.

I am glad to know now that direct vertical cutting using a traditional band saw for the uke sides had been practiced long time ago.Honestly, I did not know it when we made our experiments. Then, we made several uke sides from the solid block starting from the biggest to smallest. Then, we continued to rounding the edges, hence, now producing the "EDGELESS UKULELES". We are happy with these results as our humble contribution to the further development in building ukuleles. Cheers !

In 1874, Waggleton P. Tallylicker patented a method of carving ukuleles from the inside out using specially trained Pygmy Beavers. These were raised from birth in a ukulele-shaped habitat. Eventually, they were released into the wild, and after a number of weeks, Mr Tallylicker would venture forth and harvest the fresh ukulele bodies.

An original Tallylicker in good condition can fetch as much as $15.

In 1874, Waggleton P. Tallylicker patented a method of carving ukuleles from the inside out using specially trained Pygmy Beavers. These were raised from birth in a ukulele-shaped habitat. Eventually, they were released into the wild, and after a number of weeks, Mr Tallylicker would venture forth and harvest the fresh ukulele bodies.

I suspect though, that since Mr. Tallylicker never visited Hawaii, he never got lei'd.

Direct vertical cutting of uke body sides maybe an old method as expressed and/or implied from the replies albeit no direct reference had been made which is more specific than those mentioned in Japan, tahiti and the beaver. We share our recent findings under the same method having produced several uke body sides from one solid block using a traditional bandsaw. Then, rout the edges to produce the EDGELESS UKULELES with a quality of accoustic sound.

Last edited:
How about a picture of how you do this type of building?

I thought a beaver would be too big and being Australian we had a shortage of beavers anyway so I trialed a duck billed platypus who turned his bill up at the task. A more traditional Aussie approval is called for and a team of termites traditionally trained in hollowing out didgeridoos was called in. My son then suggested I use a vacuum cleaner hose instead and I got confused and finished up being eaten out of house and home by the termites.

On a more serious note I too have band sawed my banjo rims and laminating up a block to get cross grain reinforcement into the sides could increase the strength of the edgeless Ukes.

How thick are the walls after routing? What preamp are you using? Will you be at the NAMM shows? And the most important question of all, what will the price be?

Top Bottom