I just can't stop playing

DownUpDave

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
We have had rain almost all weekend. I just can't stop playing my ukuleles. I started playing ukulele about 14 months ago and I am more addicted then ever.

I never even got out of my sweats yesterday. Got up made coffee, played uke on and off for 8-10 hours. I did leave the house today for about 4 hrs but been playing since 3:00, it's 9:00 now. I did stop for dinner. I tried to leave my "music station" just now but grabbed the Pono next to me for a quick "Crazy Little Thing Called Love".

This is nuts..........anybody else need help as bad as me. Good thing I got a full time job or I might never leave the house

Ya , I got it pretty bad as well. Can't seem to put it down. I have a beautiful Yamaha grand piano that I play reasonably well that I haven't hardly touched since I bought the uke. I just came back from a fishing trip with some buddies, they bring their guitars and me my uke. Unfortunately most of them only own a guitar, they pull it out on occasion and wish that they could play better without having put in the effort. This year they remarked at my progress but I don't think they believed that I am putting in 2-3 hrs a day every day in practice.

I just can't seem to put it down. It brings me joy !

Ha! Most of the time I'm doing just the opposite of you two. I usually have to force myself to play any of my instruments. I play my wind instruments on my feet with a few rests, and I play until my embouchure gives out most of the time. Once I start playing, and, if I'm playing well, I hate to quit. I do play almost every day though.

I usually sit when uking, so I gotta get up every once in a while and walk around. I play as long as I stay interested.

More than playing, I like to experiment and learn new stuff. I have a concentration problem, so I only seem to stick to a subject until something else grabs my attention. I know it's not a good way to learn, but my system keeps me interested. Another musical thing I like to do is organize and reorganize my music room and the annex (bedroom). All in all, I'm doin' my music hobby the whole day. In the evening, I sleep on the couch in front of the TV until it's time for bed.

Well, that's it. Start a new thread and, I'll regale you with more musical tidbits of my life. :eek:ld:

I could use a touch of that so I "pick it up" more often.

My son asked my to play Lava from the new Pixar short the next time I come over to visit, as he and my granddaughter saw the movie.

I spent all of Saturday learning it - thanks to the PDF posted here on UU - and played my ukulele songbooks all day, too.

Who says rainy days are boring?

Welcome to Malfunction Junction, the land of musical obsessives. You might ease-off in a few decades. Or maybe not. Me, I sit back in my recliner couch with my ThinkPad in my lap and some mandolins and/or 'ukes beside me. Whenever the screen takes a few seconds to build, I'm plucking a few notes.

When I go strolling it's with a mouth organ in my pocket and a tinwhistle in my hand, each pulled out and puffed as time allows. (The sharp-edged tinwhistle also provides protection against lunging dogs and their owners, alas.) As I walk past a row of Acoma ollas (Native American pots) in my living room I stop and thump their almost-tuned percussion with my fingertips; just as in furnishings stores, I 'play' the glassware and ceramics, tapping those with good tones. I used to punch-out tunes on touch-tone phones. Those were the days...

We live in an ocean of music. My instruments are paddles to drive me through the enveloping environment. Each sound is a wave of beauty and joy. [/me strums a rich chord on the tiple] And I hum to myself a lot, of course.

I have to be careful. I will obsess. Ive done it with a lot of things in my lifetime. When I first toyed with the thought of playing a musical instrument, it was to find something other than art to spend some of my time. Art was taking over my life, and I knew that if I didn't find other interests, that art would come, and eventually go, just like so many other things that I have started in my life. So the musician is in me to save the artist from himself, but at the same time, I have to make sure that the musician doesn't take over. It is that balance that I need to keep both the musician and the artist alive and well, and I can not allow either one to get the upper hand. That is where I'm at.

Last edited:
Ha! Most of the time I'm doing just the opposite of you two. I usually have to force myself to play any of my instruments. I play my wind instruments on my feet with a few rests, and I play until my embouchure gives out most of the time. Once I start playing, and, if I'm playing well, I hate to quit. I do play almost every day though.

I usually sit when uking, so I gotta get up every once in a while and walk around. I play as long as I stay interested.

More than playing, I like to experiment and learn new stuff. I have a concentration problem, so I only seem to stick to a subject until something else grabs my attention. I know it's not a good way to learn, but my system keeps me interested. Another musical thing I like to do is organize and reorganize my music room and the annex (bedroom). All in all, I'm doin' my music hobby the whole day. In the evening, I sleep on the couch in front of the TV until it's time for bed.

Well, that's it. Start a new thread and, I'll regale you with more musical tidbits of my life. :eek:ld:

What wind instruments do you play? I'm a former trombone player. Haven't played in a few years though...

What wind instruments do you play? I'm a former trombone player. Haven't played in a few years though...

I can play all of the brass instruments, but now I only play Baritone Horn and my beloved Tuba. I also play flutes including Concert, Alto (the best), Baroque, Irish (6 hole), fifes (Revolutionary and Civil Wars), piccolos (wooden, 6 hole), two different recorders, numerous tinwhistles and harmonicas, and keyboard (but just barely). I also taught myself to play side drum, but, of course, I don't play it any more. My Ukes are listed below.

If I was sixty years younger, I'd take up the oboe and the banjo--love 'em both!

Most of the instruments that I play are self taught, and I play them more and more weakly as I age (sigh!). :eek:ld:

Last edited:
We had a couple of house guests this weekend. I was in the living room kinda just playing along to the radio while they were in the spare bedroom. When a commercial came on, I sang and played a couple of songs. Then to my surprise came applause from that room hahaha.

Top Bottom