Hard to settle down on a particular strings

matakazer

Reaction score
So I bought some strings to test out which 1 will I find best.

But I am trying very hard to determine the one I liked best. I do notice a difference though.

String testing is fun and very benefical as you will find one that sounds better, sometimes a lot better. Start a note book and list the strings and write out there characteristics. Give the strings a couple days to settle before you make any judgements. I find about 5-7 hours playing time, about one week, will really tell you everything.

You will also notice the difference in feel, tension, thickness. This can contribute to personal preferance as much as sound. Have fun but beware................you can end up spending way too much time chasing tone and changing string, lol. Been there, done that :p

As Dave mentioned, be sure to leave them on for at least a couple of days before you decide. The sound will change as they stretch and settle in, some more than others. I have been experimenting with strings and with multiple ukes it can get difficult to remember what everything sounded like. I don't have a nice mic, but I started to record a similar strum and pick noodle for each set with my tablet, so I could play it back to remember and compare the sound. It doesn't have to be anything fancy, but it does help to hear the differences.

It can sound different when you play versus the sound somebody would hear if they were in front of you, so I'll play for a bit in a corner or right in front (facing) of a wall, so the sound will bounce back at me. There are a lot of strings to experiment with, and surprising how different of a sound they can all produce.

As Dave mentioned, be sure to leave them on for at least a couple of days before you decide. The sound will change as they stretch and settle in, some more than others. I have been experimenting with strings and with multiple ukes it can get difficult to remember what everything sounded like. I don't have a nice mic, but I started to record a similar strum and pick noodle for each set with my tablet, so I could play it back to remember and compare the sound. It doesn't have to be anything fancy, but it does help to hear the differences.

It can sound different when you play versus the sound somebody would hear if they were in front of you, so I'll play for a bit in a corner or right in front (facing) of a wall, so the sound will bounce back at me. There are a lot of strings to experiment with, and surprising how different of a sound they can all produce.

I find recording without a decent device is not ideal as I can't tell any differences when trying to play the sound recorded.

I find recording without a decent device is not ideal as I can't tell any differences when trying to play the sound recorded.

I agree, but I don't have a separate microphone nor am I set up for recording. It is better than nothing to me for now, and it seems to help me out.

Is this for just one uke?
The same strings that sound best on one, are not always best on another.

Top Bottom