NUD - Mainland Mahogany Concert

rubykey

Reaction score
I needed another solid uke (who doesn’t) so lucky me – I found a great deal on a Mainland Mahogany Gloss Concert (2010 build). The owner decided to part ways with the ukulele world and bequeathed me all of her uke related accoutrements and regalia with the purchase. SCORE!!!

Mainlands are ubiquitous in my world because we have a luthier who sells b-stock at a low cost. I wasn’t interested in them because mostly I’ve tried the Mango, Red Cedar, and Spruce which are eye candy for sure, but my ears prefer Mahogany. Despite my attempts to branch out to other tones – I always fall for the hogs.

My initial impression.

The Good It’s a lovely instrument. The tone is superb – sweet, resonant, sustain, neck is thin and easy to play. The variegated color, the gloss and the rope binding is captivating. This instrument does live up to its hype.

The not so … The neck is very narrow. I like narrow, so I was surprised just how narrow this one is. It is strung with Aquilla strings that produce a vibrant tone. However because they are fat and grippy – fingerpicking is a bit of a challenge at the moment (we’re 24 hours into our relationship). I think I can adjust to it but want to try other strings. I like Worth clear and wonder if the Mainland will retain its resonance and volume with the Worth’s. Is it Worth the change? – couldn’t resist that one.

The uke is a bit top heavy. I play with a strap so that fixed that issue, but I remember when I considered Mainland in the past I didn’t like the imbalance of a heavy-ish neck. It does have sealed geared tuners so can be expected. Speaking of tuners – they are wonderful. Smallish, smooth and keep the tune. Seller hadn’t played for maybe a year and 3 strings were still in perfect tune.

Frets – have been filed, but they could use some more smoothing. Mini ouch but fixable.

Intonation is perfect up to about 7th fret. Starts to waver at the 10th and beyond but not a big issue for me. Just sayin …. ( see new post above new strings fixed the intonation)The gloss finish is still pretty but since this uke was used heavily, it does show scratches and smudges. Most smudges I easily buffed out. I can also tell it was B-stock with some tiny imperfection to the finish on the back. You really have to look for the blems – so best not to look :) Overall it still radiates beatific. I was looking for a not so delicate jam uke. And Just like with an older car – I now don’t have to worry about ruining the pristine coat.

The final (early) word
YES!!! It’s a winner. So lucky to have found her.

Karen

P.S. and lucky me to have found UU underground. I haven't posted in a long time but I can wholeheartedly say that I owe my ukulele savy to all of you who fill up the boards with wisdom, opinions and generous spirit.

Last edited:
So sad that the owner decided to part with the uke world. Where else can you find such fun in such a small package?

Glad you rescued an unloved uke.

Thanks for the review. I have a Mainland hog concert matte which I love! As for strings I have Fremont blacklines with low G on mine, and I like the sound and ease of fingerpicking. Not a fan of Aquilas myself, for that sticking texture and more. When I change strings a while from now, I'll try worth Clears. If you get there first, let us know if they're worth it!

Sorry to hear about your KoAlana - hope everything turns out well!

Congrats on the Mainland! Sounds like you're in love. I wish you a long and happy relationship. Can you show us pics?

WORTH it ...

Thanks for the review. I have a Mainland hog concert matte which I love! As for strings I have Fremont blacklines with low G on mine, and I like the sound and ease of fingerpicking. Not a fan of Aquilas myself, for that sticking texture and more. When I change strings a while from now, I'll try worth Clears. If you get there first, let us know if they're worth it!

I changed the strings last night. Don't want to say how long it took. They are still settling in but already a big improvement. The sustain is long, the tone just right -- chimey and mellow -- and gone is the brashy harsh from Aquillas. It's loud. Can't say if as loud as Aquillas but plenty loud. Intonation is now near perfect, if not perfect. I think it's my fretting at the 12th that rings a slim hair off and not the instrument. 10th and 11th fret now spot on! Whew - what a difference a string makes.

I have Worth clear medium on my Koalana strung with low G, and now the Mainland -- high G.

Fremont Blacklines -- argh#$%@& I want to like them. I have them on my beater koa laminate. Medium tension high G. They sound terrific, especially to the listener because of the great projection. And they help the cheapy Kaka uke to sound high end. They are easy to fret, not hard on the fingers like Worth or Aquilla. But my right hand doesn't like the skinny strings. You are right they are great for fingerpicking which I am not yet doing much of. It's been months and still not a fan but it gussies up the Koa like a black dress:cool:

I'll be taking both to a music campout for forthajuly so we'll see if the Mainland can soar above the guitars. High G usually works.

Not gonna bother with photos because my profile photo isn't loading and don't know why or how to remedy so now I have UU photophobia.

Karen, thanks for taking the time to share your experience! Looking forward to the Worths even more now... Have fun at the campout!

Top Bottom