southcoast strings for a favilla baritone

chuck in ny

Reaction score
okay lads and lassies. anyone speak for the non wound southcoast sets for a 19" baritone scale, the

hmu-nw
lhu-nw

strings on their site. i'm stumbling in the dark here so any suggestions are welcome.

I have the hmu-nw on my Airline Bari -- I loooooooooove them. Highly recommended.

can't remember reading a negative comment on Southcoast bari strings. Many bari's are transformed by them...in a good way.

I have the LL-NW on my Favilla [C tuning] and I like them very much. For regular bari tuning I use the Martin M630 set, they are cheap, readily available, and I think they spund great on the Favillas. I'm not sure about the sets you have mentioned. I'd like the hear what you get and what you think. I have 3 Favillas , 2 have the LL-Nw, but I may string one up reentrant to see how it sounds. keep us posted. You could also ask Dirk, either by email or phone. he is very helpful.

For the old Favilla I used nylon strings rather than fluros. Nylon really brings out the growl the f. is known for when tuning linear. I play lowG with wound 3&4. I found the SC HL-SW's too heavy for the friction tuners on my F. and Martin. They kept slipping even with adjustment screws tight. Went to the Martin 630s and no slippage what so ever.

I like a high tensioned string set; the higher the better but for vintage with friction tuners they don't work out. I haven't tried any of the lesser tension SC on my baris with friction tuners.

For the old Favilla I used nylon strings rather than fluros. Nylon really brings out the growl the f. is known for when tuning linear. I play lowG with wound 3&4. I found the SC HL-SW's too heavy for the friction tuners on my F. and Martin. They kept slipping even with adjustment screws tight. Went to the Martin 630s and no slippage what so ever.

I like a high tensioned string set; the higher the better but for vintage with friction tuners they don't work out. I haven't tried any of the lesser tension SC on my baris with friction tuners.
the Martin 630 are 2 wound, 2 fluro.

I used Sounthcoast re-entrant, all-nylon (no wound strings) baritone tuning on my Favilla baritone and it was absolute heaven.

Which set it was in their alphabet soup nomenclature, I couldn't tell you; Dirk knows the set and advised me.

Top Bottom