PDA

View Full Version : southcoast strings for a favilla baritone

chuck in ny
06-29-2015, 02:23 PM
okay lads and lassies. anyone speak for the non wound southcoast sets for a 19" baritone scale, the

hmu-nw
lhu-nw

strings on their site. i'm stumbling in the dark here so any suggestions are welcome.

connor013
06-29-2015, 03:04 PM
I have the hmu-nw on my Airline Bari -- I loooooooooove them. Highly recommended.

chuck in ny
06-29-2015, 03:25 PM
thanks connor.

PhilUSAFRet
06-30-2015, 12:43 AM
can't remember reading a negative comment on Southcoast bari strings. Many bari's are transformed by them...in a good way.

chuck in ny
06-30-2015, 02:03 AM
sounds like a good thing phil.

strumsilly
06-30-2015, 06:26 AM
I have the LL-NW on my Favilla [C tuning] and I like them very much. For regular bari tuning I use the Martin M630 set, they are cheap, readily available, and I think they spund great on the Favillas. I'm not sure about the sets you have mentioned. I'd like the hear what you get and what you think. I have 3 Favillas , 2 have the LL-Nw, but I may string one up reentrant to see how it sounds. keep us posted. You could also ask Dirk, either by email or phone. he is very helpful.

Patrick Madsen
06-30-2015, 07:50 AM
For the old Favilla I used nylon strings rather than fluros. Nylon really brings out the growl the f. is known for when tuning linear. I play lowG with wound 3&4. I found the SC HL-SW's too heavy for the friction tuners on my F. and Martin. They kept slipping even with adjustment screws tight. Went to the Martin 630s and no slippage what so ever.

I like a high tensioned string set; the higher the better but for vintage with friction tuners they don't work out. I haven't tried any of the lesser tension SC on my baris with friction tuners.

strumsilly
06-30-2015, 10:51 AM
For the old Favilla I used nylon strings rather than fluros. Nylon really brings out the growl the f. is known for when tuning linear. I play lowG with wound 3&4. I found the SC HL-SW's too heavy for the friction tuners on my F. and Martin. They kept slipping even with adjustment screws tight. Went to the Martin 630s and no slippage what so ever.

I like a high tensioned string set; the higher the better but for vintage with friction tuners they don't work out. I haven't tried any of the lesser tension SC on my baris with friction tuners.
the Martin 630 are 2 wound, 2 fluro.

Patrick Madsen
07-01-2015, 08:54 AM
Put the 630's on the Martin. I forget what was on the Favilla as I sold it but they were nylon.

coolkayaker1
07-01-2015, 08:58 AM
I used Sounthcoast re-entrant, all-nylon (no wound strings) baritone tuning on my Favilla baritone and it was absolute heaven.

Which set it was in their alphabet soup nomenclature, I couldn't tell you; Dirk knows the set and advised me.