UAS Anonymous

UkuleleD

Reaction score
Does such a thing exist? Maybe I ought to attend a couple meetings if so haha.

So I bought my first uke, a Pono tenor, and I was content for many months. Back then I had heard of this UAS and thought never I.....surly the most I would ever do was upgrade to a better tenor......well, it's been a downhill spiral ever since :D.

The next thing I know I'm strumming a beautiful KoAloha soprano, but thats not the worst part, get this, not more then 2 weeks later I have a Tangi Manini on the way(and boy was it easy to justify that purchase as a specialty).....matter of fact I think it's getting easier and easier LOL

I think it will calm down a little from here on(notice I said THINK). I try to avoid even looking at concerts these days as that's the one size I've yet to touch(whos counting baritones? ;)). Tenor upgrade would be a future thing as this Pono just does the trick so well atm and if I were to upgrade it would be a REAL upgrade for quite a bit of simoleons($$).
(That was my attempt at trying to suppress another uke purchase if you didn't notice)

All the meanwhile MGM throws up some beautiful Honu's for HUNDREDS of dollars off list price, damn him LOL!!(haha appreciate it all michael)

Welp, thanks for listening to my rant. Please tell me I am not alone in this mess, what is your story?

Last edited:
Sorry, but I can't help you. I do NOT have any syndromes, addictions, or any problem what-so-ever. The uke I bought last week was purchased because I NEEDED it. And the one this week, well, same thing... its a fluke damn it AND I CAN'T LIVE WITHOUT IT!

So when are those new Kalas being released?

So I bought my first uke, a Pono tenor, and I was content for many months. Back then I had heard of this UAS and thought never I.....surly the most I would ever do was upgrade to a better tenor......well, it's been a downhill spiral ever since :D.

The next thing I know I'm strumming a beautiful KoAloha soprano, but thats not the worst part, get this, not more then 2 weeks later I have a Tangi Manini on the way(and boy was it easy to justify that purchase as a specialty).....matter of fact I think it's getting easier and easier LOL

Amateur .

The nice(and not so nice) part of the disease is the symptoms are the cure...no money left. If only more disease were as good as UAS.

I'm feeling you man, UAS is an epidemic :p

In the past month, I've bought a Soprano Surf Flea, Ohana Sopranino, and just ordered a Curly Mango Kala Soprano from MGM yesterday. I may have to start the "one-in-one-out" rule :(

I've got at least a dozen sopranos, two concerts and a tenor, but I'm not hooked - I can quit any time I like-----------------------------

Ukantor.

6nxug3.jpg

Amateur .

LOL! Yeah, I agree with Deach, you're still pretty early in the game. There's still time to go back. But if you don't watch out, this is what could happen when UAS takes hold for an extended period of time:

DSC_9127.jpg

LOL! Yeah, I agree with Deach, you're still pretty early in the game. There's still time to go back. But if you don't watch out, this is what could happen when UAS takes hold for an extended period of time:
:eek::eek::eek: !!!!!!!!!??!!!!

...........never mind

someone get this man a doctah!! LOL
:eek:
-envy

I only have three ukes left to purchase, then I'm done. The fluke will be my con-uke, the risa stick will be my quiet-time uke, and the Mainland banjo will be my tin-pan-alley uke.

Then, I shall be done with UAS.

...I hope. :uhoh:

Love those box ukes. Everybody should have a cigar-box uke. I'm three quarters the way through making one for myself.

Ukantor.

Love those box ukes. Everybody should have a cigar-box uke.

I've long lusted after one of Ukulele Eck's Hoochuleles. Except I prefer bourbon to scotch.

They're not even that expensive.

Luckily, I remain broke so most of my UAS is of the phantom variety. It's like, I don't go window shopping, I go window shoplifting. I can't even afford to pretend to buy things so I pretend to steal them. :eek:

I've been kinda sad/happy cuz my UAS has gone into remission...

After I got my KoAloha Soprano I have been having trouble justifing getting a new Uke. I really want a KoAloha Tenor but the $$$ are not there till the Kayak lessons start back up again in May then I am making $$$$ she won't know about!!!

But I have been getting my UAS fix for free lately at my local Uke shop!!!!

The most painful symptoms of UAS occur when your bank account is empty while you browse MGM's ebay store. No matter how broke you are, $800 for a KoAloha will seem like a good price and you will do terrible things to earn the money.

I was starting to think that acquiring a Pineapple Sunday could end my UAS once and for all, but then Flea Market Music came out with new Fluke/Flea patterns and I still want a Moore Bettah somewhere down the road. As of right now I can barely afford the tuners on a Pineapple Sunday but new things always find their way onto my list of ukes to buy when I make millions of dollars with my anthropology degree.

While I am not up to GX9901 I suffer from advanced stages of UAS as well.

My collection is up to 13. (1 is in the mail coming to me.... Bushman Pineapple!)

4 of these ukes I have gotten in 2009, so I know this is getting to be VERY bad.

OOooo! Look at that Tangi MGM has in.... must.... not.... pull.... trigger....

justifying? justifying? justifying? Come now!

I know I know...

It's a good thing my uke store sold the Mango Pono Soprano that I had been drooling on or I might have had to dust off a credit card...
So far I have resisted and have just paid cash for all my Ukes, thats been my rule.... no cash, no new Uke!!!!
I am starting to get withdrawls it's been over 2 months now!!!!!

Last edited:
I think I have to accept that I am developing UAS. It started when I purchased my Ohana soprano and there was a Koaloha soprano hanging on the wall the the sales woman took down and played for me and let me pluck:love:a bit. I couldn't afford $500 for my first uke in the event that this was just a passing fancy. However I hear it calling me sometimes when I pass the store. Then I saw Pete Howlett's cherrylele :love:. I am afraid to try any other size because I know I will be in real trouble. I am going to try and stick with "concerts are too big for me", but then there are those sneaky sopraninos . . .

Top Bottom