New banjo uke headstock - opinions?

I like it. It reminds me of the old Epiphone batwing headstocks.

Looks good Dave. You've used a similar Fender style on some of your non-banjo ukes.

Is harder to adjust the tuners with the closer spacing?

Iffy............

wouldn't be my choice...

I think I prefer a more traditional headstock for a banjo uke. The Fender inspired shape isn't really cohesive with the banjo shape, and the association with electric guitars seems odd. How many banjo uke players are also looking to be a rock star?

–Lori

Thanks, everyone!

I'm not sure what I think of it :confused: On the one hand, I like the look (and operation) of the headstock. On the other hand there is the incongruity of a banjo with an electric guitar's headstock...

Well, I've got this one completed and two more in the works - I suppose the proof will be whether or not they sell :D

Thanks, everyone!

I'm not sure what I think of it :confused: On the one hand, I like the look (and operation) of the headstock. On the other hand there is the incongruity of a banjo with an electric guitar's headstock...

Well, I've got this one completed and two more in the works - I suppose the proof will be whether or not they sell :D

I happen to be with you and Lori on this.......I don't care for the fender electric guitar headstock shape on anything but a fender electric guitar. I don't like them on the fender ukuleles either. Guess I am old fashion and conservative minded when it comes to aesthetics.

Not my cup of tea... though beautiful work, and I love the wood on the rim.

But before it's condemned as "too modern" or "too electric looking" I think there's some banjo heritage that is being overlooked!

Early "minstrel" banjos (early 19th century) often had four in-line pegs and fancy scrolled headstocks.

Consider this newfangled fellow's 'jo:
CivilWarbanjo.jpg

Google "William Boucher banjo" and you'll see some more examples.

I was going to mention the Minstrel-style banjo headstock (saw a couple of them of 5-strings at a music festival this past weekend), but also noted that they work better esthetically with a larger diameter had - on a banjo uke, it would need at least a 10" pot to offset the minstrel-style headstock.

Of course, many of the 5-strings set up this way are fretless...

Not my cup of tea... though beautiful work, and I love the wood on the rim.

But before it's condemned as "too modern" or "too electric looking" I think there's some banjo heritage that is being overlooked!

Early "minstrel" banjos (early 19th century) often had four in-line pegs and fancy scrolled headstocks.

Consider this newfangled fellow's 'jo:
View attachment 81138

Google "William Boucher banjo" and you'll see some more examples.

If the Waverly Street banjo ukes are as nice as the regular ukes, I may have to consider one in the distant future. I've got uke #38, a low-G soprano uke. Great sound, easy finger picking. (I'll have to talk to Dave about a crack in the oh-so-thin! fir top one of these days, but it isn't his fault - just a winter-induced split along the grain...)

-Kurt​

I think I prefer a more traditional headstock for a banjo uke. The Fender inspired shape isn't really cohesive with the banjo shape, and the association with electric guitars seems odd. How many banjo uke players are also looking to be a rock star?

–Lori
I'm pretty traditional too with aesthetics mostly. Fender styled headstocks don't do it for me personally, not even on Fenders.

That said Dave, I love the look of the instrument from the tailpiece all the way up to the nut. :p

It is indeed well done, of that there is no doubt. There are probably those who will welcome the opportunity to have an instrument with that configuration for the headstock, but they are not as vocal as those who do not. I do not like the knobs sticking out the sides so it looks like an aerial view of a Gran Prix race car with the wheels sticking out, two on each side. Why couldn't that shape be cut the other direction so the topline is smooth and clutter free?

I really like PEGHEDS, and have modified a couple of instruments so they are on a diagonal line from upper left to lower right. All four turn the same way to adjust. It is a clean, uncluttered look within a " traditional" shape and far less weight than any other geared tuner

Do these people also still play on genuine gut strings and tune with a tuning fork?

Oh, an aesthetic judgment, eh? Okay, I think a retro instrument like an acoustic banjo (be it 'ukulele or not) deserves a retro-feeling headstock. The Fender electro look is a bit incongruous without a matching body, a telebanjo or the like, maybe a flying Vee, something rad. If we're going to mix metaphors, make sure they're well-stirred.

I've always thought a banjo uke would look interesting with a round headstock.

Scooter

Top Bottom