Excellent Beginners Ukulele Book

aman

Reaction score
I have tried many ukulele method books and most of them are as dull as ditch water.

I found one the other day at mu local library and it is fantastic. I have never seen it before in all my searching for a decent book but it is on amazon if you search for it specifically.

It is called Beginning Ukulele by Greg Horne and Shana Aisenberg.

But the best thing about it is it comes with a 2 hour DVD that follows along with the book. the DVD is hosted by Daniel Ho.

I have no connection with any of the authors or the publisher I just though I would pass on the information

there are three books in the series from beginner through Intermediate to Master

Paul

Glad you found a book you could relate to. I usually advise new players to not buy a book until they know specifically which book they want and exactly why they need it. Too many to choose from and most are redundant. Hope there's a uke club nearby. Many of us love DVD's. Lots of great demos on Youtube as well. Just search ukulele, how to.................... and fill in the blank.

Thanks Phil

I was lucky enough to find this one at the library so I could get good access to it for free. I really do think I well buy a copy for myself as it is very good. Although I am a beginner I run the local ukulele club as I though it was important to play with others as soon as possible. And youtube is very valuable I agree.

The reason I wanted a good method book was so I don't have any holes in my knowledge. i think I have found the perfect one

Paul

What are your thoughts on how it would apply to a music classroom setting for 12-14 years olds? I'm always on the lookout for good beginning method resources.

The beginners books I tried didn't help much, like you said, they were as interesting as watching grass grow....the best help I got were 2 lessons, and learning to read tabs.

I bought the whole set - they offer a 3-1 compilation all in one set for $24 through Amazon. Books 2-3 are more for me but book 1 I'm looking to cater to the classroom.

Table of contents looked impressive - seems to cover actual technique for strumming and different strum patterns which I haven't found in other method books.

The intermediate version looks interesting. I may end up getting it. I like to go to a book sometimes to break me out of a rut as they help me learn new skills and riffs. In never seem to go through my books end to end though. Instead, I end up picking and choosing the parts I study.

Hadn't heard of this one, might give it a try!

I like reading beginner books. Recently, I picked up a copy of "The Complete Idiot's Guide to Playing the Ukulele". Not a fan of those types of titles (same with the Dummies books), but it's quite hefty and covers some unusual ground (e.g. how to play with others). I might write a review about it eventually.

Top Bottom