PDA

View Full Version : Excellent Beginners Ukulele Book

aman
07-01-2015, 01:57 AM
I have tried many ukulele method books and most of them are as dull as ditch water.

I found one the other day at mu local library and it is fantastic. I have never seen it before in all my searching for a decent book but it is on amazon if you search for it specifically.

It is called Beginning Ukulele (http://www.amazon.co.uk/books/dp/073909548X/ref=pd_sim_14_3?ie=UTF8&refRID=02C9526J5HN13JFREKKA) by Greg Horne and Shana Aisenberg.

But the best thing about it is it comes with a 2 hour DVD that follows along with the book. the DVD is hosted by Daniel Ho.

I have no connection with any of the authors or the publisher I just though I would pass on the information

there are three books in the series from beginner through Intermediate to Master

Paul

PhilUSAFRet
07-01-2015, 09:37 AM
Glad you found a book you could relate to. I usually advise new players to not buy a book until they know specifically which book they want and exactly why they need it. Too many to choose from and most are redundant. Hope there's a uke club nearby. Many of us love DVD's. Lots of great demos on Youtube as well. Just search ukulele, how to.................... and fill in the blank.

aman
07-01-2015, 12:13 PM
Thanks Phil

I was lucky enough to find this one at the library so I could get good access to it for free. I really do think I well buy a copy for myself as it is very good. Although I am a beginner I run the local ukulele club as I though it was important to play with others as soon as possible. And youtube is very valuable I agree.

The reason I wanted a good method book was so I don't have any holes in my knowledge. i think I have found the perfect one

Paul

Recstar24
07-03-2015, 10:25 AM
What are your thoughts on how it would apply to a music classroom setting for 12-14 years olds? I'm always on the lookout for good beginning method resources.

Nickie
07-03-2015, 11:24 AM
The beginners books I tried didn't help much, like you said, they were as interesting as watching grass grow....the best help I got were 2 lessons, and learning to read tabs.

Recstar24
07-03-2015, 11:41 AM
I bought the whole set - they offer a 3-1 compilation all in one set for $24 through Amazon. Books 2-3 are more for me but book 1 I'm looking to cater to the classroom.

Table of contents looked impressive - seems to cover actual technique for strumming and different strum patterns which I haven't found in other method books.

Sylvan
07-03-2015, 04:09 PM
The intermediate version looks interesting. I may end up getting it. I like to go to a book sometimes to break me out of a rut as they help me learn new skills and riffs. In never seem to go through my books end to end though. Instead, I end up picking and choosing the parts I study.

PhilUSAFRet
07-04-2015, 12:52 AM
Here's just one of the many great lessons I have in my "Favorite Places." I teach a senior's class and get all my handouts and ideas online.

http://bartt.net/FreeDownloadsPage.htm

If you haven't already done so, peruse this list:

http://www.topukulelesites.com/Ukulele+Lessons-cat.html

Mivo
07-07-2015, 09:42 AM
Hadn't heard of this one, might give it a try!

I like reading beginner books. Recently, I picked up a copy of "The Complete Idiot's Guide to Playing the Ukulele". Not a fan of those types of titles (same with the Dummies books), but it's quite hefty and covers some unusual ground (e.g. how to play with others). I might write a review about it eventually.