Bruko Owners: let's talk

sam13

Reaction score
Hey All,

I am looking at getting another Super Soprano and have been oogling their site, listening to reviews on YouTube and reading reviews.

It looks very promising.

How do you like your Bruko Uke? How was ordering, shipping etc?

Cheers.

I think you had a chance to play the Bruko LN soprano that I had as I resold it to a member that goes to your get together group. To my ears, I found the one I had to be a little thin on the overall sound, but to me, I find that is the case with most sopranos until I got my KoAloha. KoAloha has a LN soprano and a tenor neck soprano. The tenor neck soprano is a bit top heavy, but I really like it and it has a sound unlike any other soprano that I have played. To me, they both sound more like a concert, but still retain some of the twangy soprano sound.

http://forum.ukuleleunderground.com/showthread.php?75012-Bruko-Soprano-Triplets-Have-Landed

My experience, Simon, in the thread above...including ordering info from Herr Pfeiffer.

I have owned, I think, about ten Brukos to date. Sold them all. The baritones are the best in my opinion. They are great ukes...for the money. They are a superb value. Are they ukes that you will crow about for years and years...absolutely not. In my opinion, are they better than Mexi-Martins, Ponos, Mainlands (they are lighter build, though)...no. Are any ukes in a similar price range better? Laminate Kiwayas are much better (the cheapest being around $250, the exceptionally great Thinline soprano series) for sound, intonation, action, build-quality, etc.

Action waaaay too high on all of the Brukos. Be sure to order one with a two-piece bridge in case you need to adjust action.

Nice little ukes, but I know that you have owned many higher-end ukes. They'll be cool, but not lifelong keepers for you, is my guess. I could be dead Wrong, though. These are my opinions, as are all posts from anyone on UU their opinions. Yours may differ.

Last edited:
Yep they are kind of cool. I've sold two and kept two. Definitely needs the two piece bridge. The sound is kind of bright and brassy. I'll probably end up keeping one.

My Bruko slim soprano (black) is well balanced with the friction peg tuners and the action for me is great as is the intonation. The sound is maybe harsh and more so as I tune it ADF#B but I like that too.

I ordered it direct from Bruko, mentioned I would be stringing it left-handed in case that affected the way they fitted the pickup and they strung it left-handed for me at no extra cost. I love those pyramid carbon strings too.

My Bruko is my most expensive uke so I guess it's no surprise that it's also my favourite. It's also the loudest, apart from my banjo uke of course.

My slim black Bruko soprano is my go-to uke. Is the action high? Yes. Is the intonation a bit wonky? Yes. There's just something about the Bruko mojo that I really really like.

I'm also rehabbing an old Bruko mahogany baritone (for almost two years now, which says a lot about my dedication and attention span), but I have a feeling it too will live with me forever.

So yeah, my vote is do it!

Edited to add: the intonation really isn't bad; it can ring sharp on the A string esp on the lower frets. If I have it tuned properly, it's no issue. (Could be action-related, too.)

Last edited:
Hi Simon.

I agree with much of what Steve said but the picture is rosier through my glasses.

Yes the action tends to be high. Intonation though is generally pretty good. And if you buy one of their "special models" you will likely have quite a unique instrument. Do opt for the two piece bridge and saddle.

The necks are quite thick, relatively speaking. Sorta a chunky D shape. That said, the satin finish is incredible on these things, almost impossible to mark them and the neck is so smooth they are actually quite fast despite the breadth.

They also have a sound all their own. If you like bright then you'll be happy. And they are loud!

Super sopranos show off the best of Bruko. Like Steve, I've owned a number too, from the flat sops to standard, to arched back, to super sops toconcerts and this scale length is consistently their best sounding, so if you're going to buy one I would definitely recommend the long scale soprano, preferably with the arched back.

All things considered, they're great ukes.

International shipping is 55E or was the last time I bought one. I had mine here in Tassie within 7 days. Communication with Hubert is a little fraught. He's sure not verbose like me but if you know what you want it's no problem at all. Long standing, well regarded business.

I've managed to sell every one I ever owned without a problem. And yet I still look at the site regularly and can see myself going back for another at some point. Like Connor, there's just something about them I like.

I think you had a chance to play the Bruko LN soprano that I had as I resold it to a member that goes to your get together group. .

I bought Rappsy's Bruko. I liked the look and build quality right away but the sound and playability took a little longer to first like then love. Its become one of my favourites. The slightly higher action was perfect for the finger picking and claw-hammer style stuff i was trying to learn. I would describe the sound (solid maple) as folksy (with a slight banjo twinge) witch was also in-line with what i was trying to play. I am really glad this one found me.

I also have had and sold then bought again Bruko, IMO with these uke's its all about the type of music you play with them. They are bright and seem to sound better the more percussive and heavy i played, all strumming and all chunky sound good and are a lot of fun. Not sure if that helped but i think Bruko plays great for the type of music it was designed, other types it's sounds are not so well suited. I also think that the Kiwaya is a better all around instrument for the same price.

I bought Rappsy's Bruko. I liked the look and build quality right away but the sound and playability took a little longer to first like then love. Its become one of my favourites. The slightly higher action was perfect for the finger picking and claw-hammer style stuff i was trying to learn. I would describe the sound (solid maple) as folksy (with a slight banjo twinge) witch was also in-line with what i was trying to play. I am really glad this one found me.

Glad to hear it's still making you happy Timothy. Use it well.

Happy to see this thread as I kinda forgot about Bruko. I'm traveling to Germany this Friday and it looks like I'll be about 3.5hrs away from Bruko HQ.

Anyone else having trouble accessing the "online shop" page of their website? It's been down (for me anyway) for a week +

Brother d-mace, when you're in Germany, maybe you can hand-select some wood and order a Bueko to your specifications. And remind Herr Pfeiffer that your name's not Luke Skywalker and you'd appreciate a non-stratospheric string action. Lol.

Like JimHanks, when I ordered my Brukos, I ordered them five at a whack to save on shipping. I asked Herr Pfeiffer to please lower the action a bit "for my playing style" (trying to frame it as a "me" thing rather than a "him" thing). Swear on a stack of maple topwood: the guy set it extra high, perhaps to teach me a lesson!! ��

Last edited:
I emailed Herr Pfeiffer abut a year ago and asked him what his standard action height was. His reply: "about 2,4 mm at the 12th fret"
I measured one that I had at 3.4mm. 2.4 is a pretty low action anyway.
So maybe they've been using a faulty measuring thingy or reading it wrong for years ...

Bruko online shop opens up (in English) if you select German on the website. Looks like the site has had a revamp.

Last edited:
I think you had a chance to play the Bruko LN soprano that I had as I resold it to a member that goes to your get together group. To my ears, I found the one I had to be a little thin on the overall sound, but to me, I find that is the case with most sopranos until I got my KoAloha. KoAloha has a LN soprano and a tenor neck soprano. The tenor neck soprano is a bit top heavy, but I really like it and it has a sound unlike any other soprano that I have played. To me, they both sound more like a concert, but still retain some of the twangy soprano sound.

Thanks for piping in Lenny. I forgot you sold yours to Tim ... he will bring it to the next Scarborough Uke Jam ... Dave tells me that it is broken in very nicely ... Maple being a hard wood.

I am a Pono guy, and like the Mahogany types of woods ... had thought of a KoAloha LN, but might end up with a Kiwaya SS.

Thanks for piping in Lenny. I forgot you sold yours to Tim ... he will bring it to the next Scarborough Uke Jam ... Dave tells me that it is broken in very nicely ... Maple being a hard wood.

I am a Pono guy, and like the Mahogany types of woods ... had thought of a KoAloha LN, but might end up with a Kiwaya SS.

When did you become a Pono guy? Next you're going to tell me that you like radius fretboards> :D

When did you become a Pono guy? Next you're going to tell me that you like radius fretboards> :D

This is a well known secret, and I am trying not to let the cat out of the Baggs (5.0) per se!

Top Bottom