Gold Tone Micro Solid Body Questions

katysax

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
I've been playing Kalas but deciding to mess around with fretless I got a Gold Tone Micro 23" scale solid body. Not solid wood - solid body.

First thing I noticed is that it is way bigger and heavier than even the 5 string U-Bass. In fact it seems heavier than my Ibanez Mikro short scale bass.

So my initial feeling is that I don't like the feel. Then I plug it into my Phil Jones Double Four. No volume. Crank everything up to maximum and I can hear it at a reasonable practice volume. My U-Bass on the other hand fills a restaurant with the volume cranked up less than half way. Even the U-Bass with the passive pickup.

So I wonder - is this a defective pickup. Anyway, it probably doesn't matter because it is going back. I should have stuck with what I know I like, the Kala U-Bass.

Wow, that's not good. I'm pretty set on a Cali 5 now anyway, almost got a gold tone on eBay last week but I know I'd be settling. I need the B string eventually because tuning the e string to d for songs like uptown funk or summer of 69 onstage is very difficult. On my birdsong bass I have a hipshot but that won't work on a u bass because you need so many turns of the tuner to get down a whole step.

On the micro bass, it uses the watch batteries, right? Maybe they're dead or loose?

The micro bass has a passive tuner. Cali bass is in an entirely different world of quality compared to the Gold Tone. I think I'm so spoiled by the Cali bass that I just can't accustom myself to the Gold Tone. I don't mind the bigger neck that much. I'm just not sure that five string is for me or that I need the low B. The five string is kind of an experiment for me. This might work out well for you since I want to hold on to it for now but can see myself selling it down the road.

There are times when you get an instrument in your hand and you know it's just right for you. I had this experience with my Gibson J-45 that I played for so many years I literally beat it to death. I had this experience with my Yamaha saxophone. And my first California U-Bass is like that. It was love from day one and I've played it a lot over the last year and still love it.

Cool, definitely keep me in mind!

My understanding of the gold tone is that it has an active preamp, at least their product literature said so. Holding that Cali bass today I understand what you're saying. My "regular" bass is a 31" scale birdsong and it is a beautiful, extremely well made and handmade instrument. It feels HUGE now though, the scale if the ubass feels so natural to me. And I love the ubass sound. I use flatwounds on my birdsong, but the rubber strings just sit in the right "bass spot" for my ears. I'm recording for a week in 2 weeks, so I'll be using it as much as I can.

The Gold Tone Micro Bass is going back - - -

I hear ya Katy, once you've experienced a hi quality instrument like the Cali or custom bass; the cheaper instruments are harder to satisfy . Then, I watch Mike transform what he gets and maxes the heck out of one. I'm amazed what can be bought for the prices they are.

For me, it's all about the feel of the neck and action; cost is secondary with in reason. Dang I thought my UAS was over. Now you have me thinking about a solid body.

You said it right; once you hold it, you know it.

Last edited:
Top Bottom