Good deal on vintage Lyon & Healy

Tigershark

Reaction score
The opening bid on this plain Washburn/L&H uke is a real bargain.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/111709075660

I don't see any cracks and it has the cool smile bridge.

wash.jpg

The opening bid on this plain Washburn/L&H uke is a real bargain.

I'm glad I wasn't watching that auction hoping nobody else would spot it.

Are you the seller by any chance?

Last edited:
Hi Tigershark, I just bought this, managed to agree a deal with the seller. Thanks a lot for pointing it out, wouldn't have seen it otherwise. If you do have any info on this model I'd really appreciate it. My first vintage uke, certainly not the last!. Cheers

Congratulation, Darren! Ive never had the privilege of owning a Lyon and Healy. It is a nice looking vintage player, indeed, and has that aged mahogany (the best--better than koa for sound) and I like that it has the hot-stamp, legible and strong, in the soundhole.

So, even with those onerous import taxes, etc., you were able to work it out with the seller...lovely! The only thing I know about Lyon and Healy is from UU brother Lardy, in your neck of the woods:
http://database.ukulelecorner.co.uk/klm/lyon--healy
Sounds as though, by definition, yours had to have been made pre-1928; they stopped making ukes thereafter (if I'm reading it right). HOw the seller came up with even more specific dating (1922-1925) I don;t know; perhaps he told you? Serial numbers?

Nice of you to point out this ukulele, brother TigerShark, even if it is your way of dumping your own unwanted treasures. ;-))))) How nice it is that you spotted this and helped Darren. :)

Looks great based on the photos. While you have the strings off for a change, I would suggest 0000 grade steel wooling the entire fretboard--it will get rid of that finger geedis (always most noticeable on the first three frets of any vintage uke) and polish the fret wires--don;t worry, a nice vigorous scrubbing won;t hurt anything. Then lemon oil afterwards.

As you told me, you have experience with other ukes (e.g. Timms) and your opinion is respected as to this one when you get it and play it. Enjoy it! And it should retain value for you well--especially in your country, where, as you told me, finding and importing US-made vintage ukes is somewhat difficult. Heck, you may be onto a new part-time gig: vintage uke importer and reseller!

Based on our recent side discussion, Darren, I really do think you'll find this L&H to be considerably better sounding than the 2010+ model year Martins; good for you to research that a bit for a consensus on 4_string Farmhouse, as you did. Plus, it's less expensive and a better retained value--or appreciation, especially if you ever run into a uke buyer named Sydney Snyder, by any chance lol-- in the L&H than the new-model Martins. Good job!

It'll be a nice seed to your budding collection. Remember the mantra: Second mortgage the house because, come hell or high water, we're buying one of everything!! lol

Last edited:
Oh man; that signature is part of the history of the uke. Have you looked up his name. I was considering bidding just because of the name and preserving his obvious love of that instrument.

Nice buy.

Vintage Washburn ukes are extremely worthwhile instruments, in my opinion second only to Martin in quality and construction. Their designs are also unique and really set them apart. Two details on your uke are unique to the Washburn line... the celluloid ring that is inset into the soundhole was a patented innovation, and one that I think really helps prevent top cracks and distortion. And the "smile" shaped bridge is another one of their trademarks.

The name on the back is charming and evocative of the times the ukulele was first purchased. It would be a shame to remove it, and I don't think it detracts from the value at all. You'll have a story to tell whenever you show it or play it for people, and you can imagine who this person might have been. For cleaning, usually you need nothing more than a damp cotton t-shirt to remove any grime. If you have to use a cleaning product, you want Virtuoso Cleaner (not polish) which is specifically for vintage instrument cleaning.

Hello, Darren.

Great detective work, indeed, Sherlock. I think it must be one or the other Sidney Snyders whose ukulele you just bought, so way to narrow it down. The first one seems as plausible as the second. The gentleman was a bandleader, into instruments, and passed away two years ago--just enough time for his instruments to sell in an estate sale and make its way to collectors, like yourself (you are a collector now, especially if you have a lead on a Gibby 1 and a Favilla--I have those ukes, too, and love them both!). You'll have to study that signature against the artist that you mention/linked again when the uke is in hand...I think it should be obvious to you, when viewed straight on, if it's her or not her, the female Sidney. Handwriting websites and videos have ways to tell if it is female penmanship or male penmanship that might give you clues. Do let us know, please. Why is it important? Because her heirs are asking to have the uke returned and they have asked that you mail it directly to me for forwarding. ;-)

You certainly scored a nice uke there in this L&H, what a great price. I'm with veteran UUer Patrick M, and now you: you must keep that painted signature on there.

Last edited:
There are 2 possibilities that seem to stand out...

Just a couple of observations that I'm guessing people "under a certain age" might not be aware of. Apologies if I'm stating things you already know, but the former historian/librarian in me just can't help herself :)

The "S" is the standard Palmer Method penmanship cursive S taught in the United States for the better part of the last century - anybody who went to public school before the 1970s would likely have learned it this way. While the hand does look somewhat feminine, a good number of men wrote this way as well.

As for "Mrs." FirstName LastName - women of the pre-Ms. generation often preferred to be known that way. For instance, if Miss Betty Jones married John Smith, she would more likely have been known as Mrs. John Smith, rather than Mrs. Betty Smith.

Top Bottom