Organizing too many strings ...with a helper

Doc_J

Reaction score
Decided my storage and inventory of strings was out of control (SAS ?). I wasn't sure what all strings I had. Even accumulated a collection of slightly used strings (decided they had to go). That ever happen to you?

So, spent a few minutes this morning organizing and inventorying my strings, with a "helper" ( We really should have named her "Stop-It" or "Damn-It" instead of Clarice ).

Seems I mostly have Oasis, Fremonts, Worth, South Coast and Savarez with a pack or two of Ko'olau, PHD, Aquila, LaBella, D'addario and Living Water.

qP1070351_zpsr71oyio5.jpg

Last edited:
Decided my storage and inventory of strings was out of control (SAS ?). I wasn't sure what all strings I had. Even accumulated a collection of slightly used strings (decided they had to go). That ever happen to you?

Absolutely. I go through bouts of SCO (String Changing Obsession) to determine what strings I like best on any particular uke. I was keeping ones that I had tried but didn't like -- after all, they might sound good on another uke -- but as it turns out I have rarely ever re-used them. I've also tried enough strings now to have a few that are my go-to's and just need to trade or gift the other ones.

I have a backpack bulging with strings - an assortment very similar to yours. It's made worse by the fact that I love to buy strings, but hate to change them - so they really do accumulate. Edwin and Trudy mostly want to "help" when I am changing the sheets.

... I love to buy strings, but hate to change them - so they really do accumulate.
Quite so. And I need to update my database when new packs arrive and when they're actually used (if ever). Yes, I keep a string inventory spreadsheet -- absolutely necessary, or I'd be drowning in a flood of strings. Yow.

Personally, I hold the string manufacturers responsible for my stack. I mean, they are so neat and tidy, those little guys wound in pretty circles that open up into linear sweetness. :)
Now that I know there is such a thing as SAS, I can relax.

HODGE, funny you mention "old, hardly used string" selection. I have a drawer with both. Buy strings whEnever I get a chanCe, When I change strings off one uke cause they don't suite me....... they go to my recycle pile. I've using my recycle pile to try different strings for my Fluke tenor with pegheds. That is one easy uke to change strings on. SAS is good.....!

That's nothing try changing classical guitar strings. With daily practice they used to wear our every 2-3 months and changing them it's a lot more work. They are much higher tension a lot more turns on the Tuners more strings and a much higher risk of the string snapping loose and causing a cash right by the bridge.

After 6 years of classical guitar changing strings on Ukes takes all of 5-10 min and a whole lot easier.

I have a backpack bulging with strings - an assortment very similar to yours. It's made worse by the fact that I love to buy strings, but hate to change them - so they really do accumulate. Edwin and Trudy mostly want to "help" when I am changing the sheets.

Oh, believe me, Ivan, I know. I did it once, and decided after that I would pay the guys at the guitar shop to do it for me. That's probably what scarred me for life regarding changing any kind of strings.

It's a good thing I only had to deal with steel (guitar) strings way back in my busking days. Just one guitar, so not a lot of string inventory to organize. And I could quick-change steel strings real fast, especially those that broke near the bridge and could be re-used. If I'd had Nylguts I'd have starved to death, waiting for new strings to stretch. That's the real reason to own a bunch of 'ukes -- at least one might not be too out-of-tune to play right away. ;)

Hodge, I love the term SAS........cause I got it bad. Your thread motivated me to empty out the box and have a real close look.

The box (picture #1 ) looks innocent enough. The 30 some odd sets of strings crammed in there tells a different story. Lightly used string are in a different spot all together and did not make the pictorial :cool:

20150702_161801.jpg20150702_162210.jpg

Last edited:
I'm looking to buy some Freemont Blacks for my tenor. If anyone has some they want to sell, let me know.

I like to store mine in a large, zippered, CD or DVD holder. Can easily see what I have without shuffling through a whole stack of them.

I use an accordion file.....It helps!s0115819_sc7.jpg

Top Bottom