Mystery Uke.

In the late 20's, Lyon & Healy ceased ukulele manufacturing and sold the Washburn name to Tonk Bros. At first J. R. Stewart and, later, Regal took over ukulele production for Tonk Bros. This appears to be a Regal ukulele with a left-over L&H mustache bridge.

Everything about it says 20's Regal to me. A lot of their better ukes from that time have that gorgeous flamed mahogany. The rope-style multicoloured purfling is another Regal thing and was used on the Redhead's and many other of their slightly upper-end models. I owned one exactly the same as listed and have to say that price makes me laugh out loud. But there's also another Regal on ebay at the moment that is a dime-a-dozen blue and orange painted birch wood number with the cheerleader artwork going for a mere 900 bucks. Just think, you could be the first person on your street to get hold of two vintage Regals for a couple of K. Happy days are here again. :p

In the late 20's, Lyon & Healy ceased ukulele manufacturing and sold the Washburn name to Tonk Bros. At first J. R. Stewart and, later, Regal took over ukulele production for Tonk Bros. This appears to be a Regal ukulele with a left-over L&H mustache bridge.

That seems very plausible. thank you.

Looks like someone did a rather sloppy job gluing the bridge on. Is it possible the bridge (although a very old one) is not original to that instrument, and it really is the exact same model Chefuke has shown us from the Antebellum site?

Just as was mentioned earlier, this is a Regal-made uke with the "smile" bridge associated with L&H. The fact is that Regal built a lot of Lyon & Healy's instruments for them... among them most, if not all of the Mauna Loa lower-end L&H ukes I've handled. That basic design -- fancy mahogany and fancy purfling -- was seen in all sorts of Regal products, most famously on the Wendell Hall "Redhead" ukes... some of which also featured a smile bridge now and then.

Top Bottom