Electric Ukulele

Carlydro

Reaction score
Hey everyone! I'm beginning my search for am electric uke and an amp, does anyone have suggestions or websites to point me in the direction for perfect fit!?

Would require some specifics re: your expectations, size, use(s)/music style(s), solid/hollow body, nylon/metal strings, and budget to get some decent recommendations. Too many options otherwise.

I've had a few. I really liked the Risa semi-hollw bodies. First bought the kidney strat type and later bought the Les Paul clone. Great build quality, really nice tone. These are steel stringed ukes. Also tried the Ko'Olau solid body nylon string uke. Expensive, but best intonation of any uke I've played. I bought a couple of the nylon stringed stick ukes from Risa and a few of the Eleukes too. The Eleukes weren't bad, but not in the same league as the Risas. In the rotation of buying and selling, all went away but the Risa kidney shaped and tenor stick ukes. Really like both of them. Actually sold the kidney Risa and recently bought it back.

The electric uke with amp can come in many configurations, depending on what one's musical intention is. Is the goal to simply have an amped performance, bend strings for effects or "electric guitar " in a nylon stringed package? That makes a difference selection-wise and cost-wise.

Steel strings can be bent for sound in ways that nylon can never achieve (to me, anyway). if steel strings are a consideration, then the KonaBlaster line is a reasonably-priced option. My KonaBlaster soprano (got it in a trade with another UU member) really has a unique voice and is a fun item.

If one is seeking a Les Paul or Fender Strat look in uke size with nylon strings, there are a couple choices at reasonable pricing. I got an Effin UkeStart (concert scale, Strat look)(sold by Bulter Music) - solid body maple with okay electronics. It's fun and the nylon-string voice is acceptable (for me!). I use the UkeStart and the Effin with the same amps (HoneyTone portable and 10-watt refugee which came with a cheap electric guitar) and they work well enough - not Grand Ole Opry quality but okay in the garage and other forgiving locations.

Then there's always just getting an acoustic-electric or installing a pickup/preamp combo on an existing acoustic. Have installed about a half-dozen inexpensive electronics packages (EBay <$25 units) on my acoustics with success.

These are just a couple options in the $100-$350 range (less expensive if used) if the goal is to learn, experiment and perhaps go further later. Other folk will have many more ideas and experiences to share.

If your intention is to get the sound of a screaming electric guitar, then I'd recommend a solid body with steel strings and magnetic pick-ups, like the Risa LP or Vorson (albeit there are mixed reviews concerning quality of that latter).

For a solid body uke with nylon strings and a more classical sound, the Pono TE line is great. Somewhat similar to those are the Imua or Lanikai Manana and Makapu'u, but i haven't tried'em.

Top Bottom