Rare Kamaka Gold-Label Soprano with Binding

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tommy B

Reaction score
SOLD!

[/I]I'm selling off all my sopranos, and this is one of the "crown jewels" of my collection: It's an early 1960s, limited-edition Kamaka featuring tortoise-shell binding. In my UAS travels, I haven't come across another one of these, although there's a pineapple in the Kamaka website's gallery that I believe is from the same era. Go to this link and scroll down to the very last uke:

http://www.kamakahawaii.com/ukegallery.html

TEB_7557.jpgTEB_7556.jpgTEB_7560.jpgTEB_7565.jpg

For more pictures, please see: https://www.flickr.com/photos/shutterbutt/sets/72157655385876002

This uke is a sweet player with a lovely voice and good action. There's a slight amount of flame in the koa, although it's nothing compared to modern ukes, and the classic satin Kamaka finish doesn't show it off anyway. There are assorted superficial dings and scratches consistent with age and use; please see the photos and check out the online album (link above).

There's a slight amount of bellying/dishing in the soundboard that I consider normal and negligible, but I'll mention it in case others feel differently. There's one very fine line in the finish of the soundboard, to the bass side of the bridge, that I can feel with my fingertip. I believe it's in the finish only as it is faint and has never moved. There's also a small flaw near the very edge of the lower bout on the back of the uke. Please see photos for both.

My only complaint about this uke is that the string slots in the nut were cut more narrowly than they needed to be (there was room for wider string spacing), so the strings seem close to me. I've thought about changing out the nut, which would have been an easy job, but I opted for keeping the uke original.

The uke comes with a vintage case that's solid and functioning, but the finish is worn off in spots. Again, please check the photos. A fully charged humidifier will also be included.

Asking ... shipped in the 48 states (deduct $20 if using PayPal gift). All others, please contact me and we'll work out something fair. Price includes shipping by U.S. Post Standard Mail with full insurance. Please PM me with any questions. Thanks. - Tom

Last edited:
Wow, can't believe it didn't sell "instantly." Would be the "crown jewel" of many collections, and at a really great price. I never really wanted a Kamaka soprano....until I got one. What an awesome little player. If soprano was my size of choice, I'd grab this one and sell the one I have.

Wowzer, Tom. Just, like, zoinks!

Had I just not purchased my first Koa ukulele (a Big Island Honu Rope Series Solid Koa Soprano) I would have been all over this. I love the subtle tortoise-shell binding and the Kamaka name speaks for itself.

Very nice!

That is one of the nicest looking Kamaka's I've seen!

Tom,

Congrats on the quick pending sale. It was tempting but I don't play that size and even sold my concert to your buddy.

Happy 4th.
Scott

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom