tenor and the unwound low G

chuck in ny

Reaction score
well. i have DGBE living water strings coming for my favilla baritone all non wound. i don't have a problem with wound strings- certainly not a single wound one on the 4th. it's just while i'm on the unwound kick,, here i am assuming success with ken's strings,, i wonder what no-wound string sets have been working out for tenor players. certainly the LWs will get a try.
then there's always waking up, getting some fremont soloists and not having a fit about life. this is a win/win as it's not critical which way it goes. i wonder which sets have been working out. i also have to get a tenor to put these strings on.

Living Waters unwound low G's seem the best to me. Don't like the Worth browns..........their low G projects a dull thud to my ears. Chuck Moore turned me on to Fremont soloists which are now my prefered low G.

I currently use wound low g strings (either Fremont Soloist or Savarez Cantiga). But in the past, I have used both Living Water and PhD unwound low g strings.

Last edited:
I use Aquila Red a lot, and while my experience is mostly high G, I have also tried and liked the low G.

I currently use wound low g strings (either Fremont Soloist or Savarez Cantina). But in the past, I have used both Living Water and PhD unwound low g strings.

My experience is similar although I now use the Savarez CANTIGA 514RH polished low G with the Savarez ALLIANCE 150R uke set. The Living Waters are right there too as my preference with the low G. I do like the way I can bend the unwound low G of the Living Waters.

My experience is similar although I now use the Savarez CANTIGA 514RH polished low G with the Savarez ALLIANCE 150R uke set. The Living Waters are right there too as my preference with the low G. I do like the way I can bend the unwound low G of the Living Waters.

Ha, typo on my part. Yes, the Cantiga. That is the exact same Savarez setup I have on one of my ukes.

surprisingly interesting thread for a common topic. thanks all.

The only time I don't mix wound and unwound strings is on my solid-body electric. The wound string(s) tend to buzz and sound out of balance.

I like the Warm Oasis Low G.

And will try the Living Waters Low G as well as the Savarez. Thanks for the suggestions.

Also, I prefer one wound string whether a Low G or re entrant.

I've tried Worth CH-LGHD, Fremont Black Line & PhD unwound low G but have found no lasting love. (While my experience is limited, I'm beginning to believe that wound 3rd & 4th [South Coast] and improving my technique is my only hope...)

I've got a freemont soloist paired with worth clears on my Koaloha tenor. . before that I had worth browns . I still have not found the perfect low G combo.
I like southcoast, and although some sets are pricey, I'm thnking Southcoast next. there are so many choices. from LL-Nw, LL-RW, LML-NW, LML_RW, ML-SW. the nw are no wound, rw round wound, sw smooth round wound [polished]
this uke is very resonant and the low G can be boomy with the wrong string, anyone have one of these fitted? impressions?
I'm thinking LML-NW, they are new.

Last edited:
Top Bottom