Post Op Recovery-Take One Ukulele For An Hour A Day

hollisdwyer

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
image.jpg
I had one of my Knee's replaced last Friday and asked my wife to bring my Soprano to the Hospital when she came to visit. I guess I wasn't too surprised to find out that it took my mind off the pain.
What I was surprised at were the number of hospital staff and patients who would drop by and listen and express a word of thanks. Time passes slowly when you're in a hospital so I guess any break from routine is welcome.
As you can see from my expression I had been pushing that pain relief delivery system button a lot in the past 12 hours.

Pain is half mental and I would think that the beautiful ringing of you uke would help a lot. I have known several friends who have had knee replacement - all with great results. I hope you heal with great results too.

Congrats on your successful healing! You're doing your own music therapy, and others are enjoying it, that's great

Speedy recovery to you!

Hope your recovery continues to go well. I'd be hitting that pain relief button, as much as needed.
Glad to hear your uke is good medicine.

Here's to your rapid & complete recovery... great photo!

Get well quickly and keep on strumming!

Here's to a speedy recovery and some beautiful uke playing :)

I hope you are better soon. The uke is a comfort to me, and I am sure it helps you. Such a happy instrument, especially the sopranos.

Keep up the good attitude, and be sure to do your rehab diligently. I know where "you're at," I had my right hip replaced two months after I started playing ukulele in August of 2013, but they had me on my feet the next morning, and out of the hospital the day after that (I recoup very quickly). For the next two weeks at home, I "got" Iz's "Rainbow" arrangement, bought another uke online and put away all my guitars.

Last edited:
They strapped me to a leg bending machine the next day but kept me in hospital for 6 days. By the time I left, my 'score' on the machine was ahead of the norm. Still hurts like bloody hell and will continue to do so for a while yet I expect. Having the uke available in the hospital was a definite plus for me and as it turned out for others. There were 30 patients in my ward who had either hip or knee surgery and not one complained. Not that I am such a great player or anything but that 'happy sound' that a uke makes seemed to create happy vibes in that little corner of the universe.

Good luck to you. What a good way to self medicate.

Keep up the rehab I am told it gets you up and going sooner if you keep at it. I hope I can practice what I preach. I am going to have my left knee replaced on the 7th of July. I was thinking of having a ukulele along for the hospital stay.

Keep up the rehab I am told it gets you up and going sooner if you keep at it. I hope I can practice what I preach. I am going to have my left knee replaced on the 7th of July. I was thinking of having a ukulele along for the hospital stay.

Good luck to you on the op. I'd most definitely recommend you have your uke brought in to you once you wake up. If you are anything like me, I was only sleeping for an hour or two at a stretch. I had a private room so I could play at any time(with the door closed). During the day, making music myself, definitely raised my spirits and from the reaction that I got from both the other patients and staff, it raised theirs also.

Nice. This is what- even for those who aren't dedicated soprano players- owning at least one soprano-sized uke is good for. Rocking out on a tenor in a hospital bed like that would definitely be more of a chore. Also, sopranos are *way* easier to travel with, in my opinion. I've kind of reverted back to tenors as my choice size, but I'll always have at least one standard. -- Matt

PS Is it wrong to be jealous of someone who's laid up in the hospital? You look like you're feeling pretty good there: I'll have what you're having ;)

Last edited:
Nice. This is what- even for those who aren't dedicated soprano players- owning at least one soprano-sized uke is good for. Rocking out on a tenor in a hospital bed like that would definitely be more of a chore. Also, sopranos are *way* easier to travel with, in my opinion. I've kind of reverted back to tenors as my choice size, but I'll always have at least one standard. -- Matt

PS Is it wrong to be jealous of someone who's laid up in the hospital? You look like you're feeling pretty good there: I'll have what you're having ;)

Thanks Matt. Note that I am still having the same stuff now that I am home so I guess that expression is still on my face. Agree with you re the Soprano size. I am really a tenor guy because of my sussage-Esk fingers. I have been considering selling that 3K but then I play it again and realise just how good an instrument it really is.

Top Bottom