Myrtle wood: thoughts?

drubin

Reaction score
Any of y'all played a uke made of myrtle wood? How would you characterize the tone/sound? I'm thinking about adding another to my collection (UAS, indeed!), maybe having one of my favorite builders do his magic. Just wanting to see what folks think about the pros and cons of myrtle and/or myrtle back and sides with a spruce top. I've never played one myself, but I just love the look of this wood.

I've got a solid myrtle tenor with spruce top and I am very happy with it. It is the only spruce top uke I have and therefore hard to compare for me. I have also a Tangi Gecko myrtle sopranino. I like the sound (and look), but again it is hard to compare to my non sorpaninos...

Not much response, huh? Myrtle is a very inexpensive wood, until you get into the musical graded stuff. As Breedlove once described on their site - it has "the power of rosewood, and the clarity of Maple. . . makes an excellent recording wood" or something like that.

I've done a couple of Curly Spalted Myrtlewood B/S and Spruce tops (who would've guessed). One of them looks like light Koa from a distance, I think the other one went to Japan. I did one with a Curly Maple neck, and the other with Hondo - I like the Hondo better, but just slightly.

I think Breedlove described it well. I'll definitely have to retain one in my arsenal - my supplier always has some nice stuff. I'm just waiting for another excuse to order some more. Right now, its Milo for the extremely special orders.

The only problem with Myrtlewood? Its name. Soundwise, I'd put it up against most anything out there. Given the choice between a Koa and Myrtle? No question there.

-Aaron

Myrtle Wood Road Toad

My dream Myrtle wood ukulele is a Road Toad Pineapple :D
mini-RoadtoadPineapple.jpg

http://www.roadtoadmusic.com/Ukulele_Gallery.html

Not much response, huh? Myrtle is a very inexpensive wood, until you get into the musical graded stuff. As Breedlove once described on their site - it has "the power of rosewood, and the clarity of Maple. . . makes an excellent recording wood" or something like that.

I've done a couple of Curly Spalted Myrtlewood B/S and Spruce tops (who would've guessed). One of them looks like light Koa from a distance, I think the other one went to Japan. I did one with a Curly Maple neck, and the other with Hondo - I like the Hondo better, but just slightly.

I think Breedlove described it well. I'll definitely have to retain one in my arsenal - my supplier always has some nice stuff. I'm just waiting for another excuse to order some more. Right now, its Milo for the extremely special orders.

The only problem with Myrtlewood? Its name. Soundwise, I'd put it up against most anything out there. Given the choice between a Koa and Myrtle? No question there.

-Aaron

Thanks for the informative response Aaron, very helpful! Regarding your last statement, do you mean you personally prefer Myrtle over koa?

Thanks for the informative response Aaron, very helpful! Regarding your last statement, do you mean you personally prefer Myrtle over koa?

Let me be specific - for my Myrtle vs. Koa Back and Sides with a Spruce top, yes, I prefer Myrtle.

Let me be muddy - If I had the choice of only one, Myrtle would not be my first choice, unless I only used it to record (then I'd have a decision to make). What is this based on? Just the premise that I'd rather have a Koa instrument, because its traditional, etc etc etc.

Let me be realistic - I have a few Koa instruments that sit around. If I had the Myrtle sitting next to it, that would be the one I'd grab. After the Milo, of course.

Regarding the grain on Myrtle - the pic of Owen's is exactly the type of figuring I'll probably bring in next. Here, I just wanted to try something different:
IMG_0088.jpg

Just my $.02 -Aaron

Last edited:
Thanks again for your insights Aaron. Much appreciated. :D Gorgeous uke, BTW!

I'm a fan of the dramatic, high contrast myrtlewood--dark and curly. I'm saving up $$ for a custom. I'm thinking about a stereotypical spruce top, but I wonder how myrtle manages as an ukulele top wood. To me, there's some sort of mystery when it comes to topwoods. all koa, mahogany, acacia, and mango are accepted ukulele hardwood tops; but heaven forbid you use any other hardwood. Anything else needs softwood spruce, cedar, or something strikingly similar. Can anyone chip in as to why we don't see many or any rosewood, maple, myrtlewood, etc. hardwood tops?

Top Bottom