Questions re: Kala KA-B mahogany series

Mxyzptik

Reaction score
I've been thinking about a baritone lately and low and behold there hanging in a second hand store in my little town is a KA-B that is brand new. It doesn't look like it was ever played. At first I thought it was a tenor as it just didn't seem much bigger than my tenor but after looking at their website I guess they really aren't much bigger.

They are asking 100 dollars for it which seems reasonable. What can anyone tell me about these? Are they OK ? What strings and tuning are usually used?

I have one strung DGBE and it's fun to play. Not a custom but good tone and at that price well worth it. Plus having to know different fingering for the same chord keeps my brain working. Though you can just use the same chord shape and play in a lower key.

To me $100 seems a little high since they go for about $140 new. I'd offer $80 if I were you.

More than likely the stock strings will tune to DGBE but you can get strings to tune it gCEA.

I tune my tenor low g, what do you think about tuning it low g or would you tune low d and learn the new fingerlings? I don't think I'll have problems learning another set of chords. I don't think I like playing the same shapes as I suspect I'll be playing with others.

No new chord shapes or new fingerings. It's the same instrument, just tuned lower.

Your "C" shape becames a "G" chord on a Baritone, etc. Everything is transposed to a bit lower.

I have a KA-B that I bought on impulse, and it's a fun instrument. I keep it in DGBE because I come from the guitar, and also because it gives me some flexibility. For example, with a lightweight capo on the 5th fret it's like a low G tenor, and I can slide set the capo closer to the nut to give me a low F#, F, E or Eb uke.

My only complaint about the KA-B is that the body edges are a little sharp, making it uncomfortable to hold over time. I softened the edges with some fine grit sandpaper, and it's a lot more comfortable now.

My first uke was a KA-B, bought used for $100—though with all the extras it was practically free. I've had it for five or six years now, and it's developed a tone that I wouldn't have expected from so modest a beast. I have three other baris of substantially better quality, but the KA-B still gets the most play—I think it's a terrific uke for the price.

If it plays well, has good tone and the intonation and action are good with no fret buzz anywhere (i.e. no extra setup required), it's well worth $100. I actually prefer used instruments, since they'll have seasoned somewhat and adapted to the climate, so no initial disappointment and little fear of cracks or warping. Plus, you know exactly what you're getting in sound and looks—no uke roulette.

I picked it up yesterday, at first blush it look great. Now I have to settle on what strings and tuning.

Congrats on the acquisition. I got a KA-BE from HMS a few months ago. It may be the best bargain out there.

The "Great String Debate" goes on and on, and everyone's opinion is correct. Have Aquila NylGuts tuned CGDA on mine and am quite satisfied. The setup makes a big difference, and sometimes I think folk change strings more because the feel is wrong (due to inadequate setup) and thus get too critical about the sound. Either way, changing strings is a cost-effective way to bond with an instrument.

Top Bottom