Uke Minutes 40 - First Beat C String

Hey people of the Underground! This week's episode of Uke Minutes is here!

Uke Minutes 40 - First Beat C String

We actually covered the fingerpicking version of this in Uke Minutes 35, but thought we might expand it to include strumming, as well. As a rule of thumb, the C String Bass generally sounds good on beat one, but feel free to explore other variations including timing, placement, number of times, etc.

Suggestions, thoughts, questions, conspiracy theories? Post them below!

NOW FOR E and A STRING BEATS!!! haha

yet another sweet uke mins. Mahalo :shaka:

P.S. i seem to be the first one to always post the first post for these, and i see like 10 views before me.

For those of us strung with low G's, the same technique works with the G string. In fact, anyone who plays Brudda Iz's version of "Somewhere Over the Rainbow" (properly) is already using it.

With a low G you can also alternate between the G and C strings, either on the 1 and 3 beats of a measure on the 1 beat of alternate measures. (Uh-oh, did I give away another upcoming uke minute?!)

For those of us strung with low G's, the same technique works with the G string. In fact, anyone who plays Brudda Iz's version of "Somewhere Over the Rainbow" (properly) is already using it.

With a low G you can also alternate between the G and C strings, either on the 1 and 3 beats of a measure on the 1 beat of alternate measures. (Uh-oh, did I give away another upcoming uke minute?!)

Both Iz strum and the beat 1 and 3 have already been covered.

I know you covered the Iz strum, I just wanted to point out the pattern connection. When did you cover alternating bass?

He never said he did.

(Sorry, I'm just trying to make things worse with snarky remarks.)

:p

Haha, SSB you are terrible.

Nice catch cpatch! Yup, if you are one of the lucky ones who have a low G, you can expand the technique to the G string and do cpatch's "alternating bass" to fill up that low end quite nicely.

As for "beat 3" - we actually contemplated mentioning adding bass notes on beat 3 in the episode because it works very well if you're playing in 4/4 time. However, we decided against it mostly because although "beat 1" holds up in almost all cases, "beat 3" breaks down on some of the other time signatures.

As with all uke techniques, there are no hard and fast rules for this one, so play around with everything: timing, placement, number of notes, and absolutely anything else you come up with. And although I think we've exhausted most of the possibilities for this technique already in this thread, if you have any other questions or suggestions, go ahead and post them below!

Hi, its a so nice and good site ever. Its a really great and fantastic post here in this site. So, thank you for the sharing of your ideas and thoughts to all of us.

Top Bottom