Holding the Banjo Uke for Clawhammer

BigMamaJ40

Reaction score
I have started learning claw hammer ukulele on my soprano Gold Tone banjolele with resonator, using Aaron Keim's instruction book. I play sitting, with the banjo uke in the center of my lap.

The problem is the inside of my right forearm rests on the rim of the Uke. The metal rim and hooks leave deep impressions in my skin. Kinda hurts after awhile!

How should I be holding the banjo Uke for Clawhammer so it is more comfortable?

If you're not using a strap or similar support, get one. On a banjolele you can usually get away with tying on to one of the skin-tensioning struts, usually down by the tailpiece, the other end goes to the headstock. Even a decently strong length of string will do, in the first instance, the object being to remove the tendency to "hang on to" the instrument for fear of dropping it ... or even just to keep it in place.

Afterthought : having tried your described style, with the body of the banjolele in my lap, it is uncomfortable. With my "suitably strong length of string" (yes, really) holding the instrument higher up on my torso, for me the problem disappeared :)

On a full-size banjo, it's quite common to have an arm-rest, from about 6:30 to 9 o'clock, looking at the face of the banjo with the neck upright. I'm not sure if that option is available for a banjolele, I don't feel the need for one on mine, though I do use the arm-rest on my full-size banjo. I'd be inclined to introduce a modicum of padding in the interim, to reduce the discomfort, whilst developing your claw-hammer skills. Maybe you'll find a suitable arm-rest for your instrument or even develop a style where one isn't necessary.

Good luck ... and keep practising, the end result is well worth it :)

Last edited:
I use a super sized wrist, sweat band. The kind that Basketball players wear. It works good, and I can wipe my forehead when I'm having the yips with those darned tabs.

As kypfer says, a strap is a big help, and it makes folks look like they know what they're doin'. :eek:ld:

I have an Oasis Guitar Sleeve. It is a lycra sleeve which has a gel padded section. No more uncomfortable impressions on my arm.

I find it's important to minimise contact with the pod with my forearm, any contact with the banjo head deadens the tone considerably. It's bit like classical guitarists who play in such a posture that any contact with the body of the guitar, even the back and sides, is minimal.

Goldtone makes an armrest for the 8" uke-sized pot. You could also try contacting Bob Smakula. If he doesn't have it he might know who does.

http://www.smakula.com

Dave

Thanks, all, for the advice! I found a decent strap in my box of unused-music-stuff, and it has helped my posture. I will definitely get an armrest, as well, and see how it goes. I never heard of the Guitar Sleeve -- I'll check it out.

Last edited:
Just a follow-up: the combination of the armrest and a strap has made a BIG difference in playing comfort. The armrest is still metal-on-skin, but it's smooth, and I like how it elevates my arm a bit over the strings. Thanks for all the help!

Top Bottom