flying with a ukulele

hurriedh

Reaction score
I am flying to Florida on Allegiant and I really want to bring my concert fluke. It is just over 22 inches, under 23 inches but the carry on can only be 22" X 14" X 9". Does anyone have any experience on how strict they are. I will go without it if I have to check it. I am willing to carry it in my hand without the case and wrap it in a towel. I will be carrying on my computer case (which will be my personal item) and the ukulele. I don't want to get to the airport and my ride is gone and I have to check it. Thanks.

you should not have any issues flying with your uke. Laptop bag and uke, I've done that a few times flying and had no problems. I was actually surprised that the TSA knew what I had before I even opened the case.

I flew on Allegiant to Florida very recently. I was traveling with a soprano that was in a Kala checkered black case . I didn't have any trouble in the end but it actually was kind of close - their overhead compartments are so tiny it wouldn't fit in sitting back to front and there was not enough room going side to side because of other luggage already loaded but it was thin enough to set in front of the other suitcases that were already in there and still close the door. The stewardess helped me with it and was cool about the whole thing. I wouldn't hesitate for a second to take that soprano again but I doubt I would push it with anything larger -

And they can absolutely be strict about things - as evidenced by the way they charge a fee for every last single thing. Plus they were much more tuned into what people were carrying on than some other airlines because of the small size of the plane. Our checked luggage was a hair over their weight limit of 40 lbs and we had to reshuffle some stuff into another bag in order to get it under.

If your case is within their specified limits then don't worry about a thing - but if it's not, I don't think this is an airline that's in the habit of letting things slide

I never take a chance with carry on (or checked for that matter). If I think an item will be close to a limit either size or weight I make an advance trip to the airport to verify with the carry on check cage thing or their scale. But I'm lucky enough to have a small airport not too far away.

A concert (depending on your case) could fit under the seat in front of you at a slight angle and just put your feet on top of it. They'll never see it and if they do it still should be fine. I travel with Tenor's and have never had a problem. I have learned to NOT travel with my Reunion Blues case which I love. It's just way too bulky and it works but it's been a pain in some smaller commuter flights in the overhead. A concert in a standard body shaped concert case should be no problem. I have a Collings Concert and that case is fantastic because it's shaped like the uke. Very streamlined, hard shell with great protection inside. If anyone hassles you just show them the 50b oversized duffle bag others shove in the overheads and take up all the space! That's the real issue, not a concert uke.

If anyone hassles you just show them the 50b oversized duffle bag others shove in the overheads and take up all the space!
Or maybe be proactive and sheathe the uke inside your own overstuffed duffel and shove it in the overhead. Or would that be considered uncultured?

I've not flown since 2003 -- haven't had to, and haven't missed the security checks I hear of from friends and family. But we've about run out of places to drive in North and Central America, and my wife will insist that we fly someplace eventually. I will insist upon conditions: we can fly to Hawai'i and I can get a grand 'uke, or to Peru for a charango, or to Italy for a good Neapolitan mandolin, or to Ukraine for a domra, etc. Then I only need worry about returning with the instrument -- a one-way hassle, not two-way. Hey, if I can return with a new axe on every trip, I might get to enjoy (or at least tolerate) flying.

Omgsh. Do a search, there are probably over 1,000 threads about uke's on airplanes.

Maybe it's time for the mods to do a separate board on this subject or a sticky in Uke Talk...

Last edited:
Thank you very much for your replies. I don't understand this regulation about allowing people to carry on instruments. If you have to stay within the 22"x14"x9" how could a guitar possibly fit those measurements? Most ukes don't fit those measurements. The regulation mentions violins and guitars. Violins are longer than 22". I like the idea of checking the place out first. I live 20 minutes from the airport. It is a small airport in New York. I think my uke and I will take a trip to the airport. I only have a soft case. It is a fluke and they can stand up to a lot. I am wondering if they measure your stuff before you get on and find out the fluke is 22 and 3/4 inches and it will be a tad more with the case. Thank you again for your replies.

Top Bottom