hawaiian ash

chuck in ny

Reaction score
my preference is usually mahogany, the strong low and mid tones. how does hawaiian ash compare to mahogany, or perhaps the two do not relate.
i know a lot about woods. most of that is in building construction so i don't have a fine feel for tonewoods. i'm going to commission a build and koa is an easy choice just too much sparkle and you might as well have the sound you are looking for.
this isn't an easy subject and things are never cut and dried. for that matter people's sound concept alters and adjusts as they become familiar with their instruments. this is for a concert size.

I don't know the answer, Chuck, but I do know that William, formerly of UU, had (he sold it) a Hawaiian ash KoOlau custom. Here's his channel, with videos of that uke, plus other high-end ukes, that might help your ears decide. G'luck.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=orvPH3d9L60

I don't have experience with ash, so can't help you there. But -- and forgive me if I state the obvious -- but I would definitely discuss with the luthier you've selected your tone preferences, your playing style and whether you care about figuring or not. They can then tell you what woods they have on hand that they would best meet your objectives given their approach to luthiery. In many cases, you'll have several different woods to choose from.

It can be a lot of fun to commission a custom uke and decide on all the fine details. And it can also be overwhelming. I was going to commission a custom not long after I started playing from an amazing luthier who primarily builds mandolins. I realized before he cut any wood that my almost complete lack of experience coupled with his very small samples size of ukes he had built was not a winning combination (and 99.9% of that was my fault, not his). So I dropped the project, focused on broadening my experience set and then after owning about 25 different ukes (bought right so I could flip in and out of them without losing my shorts), I finally felt like I really knew what I wanted. I still discussed all my options with Kevin and John of Kinnard to get their input. And I couldn't be happier with how it turned out.

thanks for the videos all. i like the ash sound. it has just enough mid range. it's actually more complex but i have a limited sound vocabulary. most instruments are not fully dark or fully bright. they have an interplay of characteristics.
this is a good point to go with gut feelings and a pinch of voodoo. i like the ash. the videos can be deceiving it is always somewhat prejudicial because the same couple of people owning the same couple of instruments will more than likely string them differently.
koa has a lot going for it. more properly a LOT. my fear is having to fight an insistent high range chime.
wood is a very emotional subject. best go with your heart. thanks for the guidance.

chuck in ny: PM Sent.

Top Bottom