Mahogany tenors: Cordoba 30T or Pono MT?

mikelz777

Reaction score
I'm contemplating getting a tenor and through my research so far, I'm pretty certain that I'd like a solid, all-mahogany uke. I keep coming back to three, the Cordoba 30T, the Pono MT and a Mainland. I've all but ruled out the Mainland based mostly on it's looks. I own an Ohana with rope binding around the body, sound hole and head stock and the headstock detailing is the same. It's no fault of the uke itself, it's just that the Mainland looks too much like my Ohana and I kind of want something different.

To put some perspective on my remaining two choices, I'd plan on buying them from Hawaii Music Supply (HMS) so they would be looked at and set up properly.

Looks-wise, I love everything about the Cordoba 30T. The abalone rosette, the darker mahogany, the rosewood binding, the black buttons on the tuners and the black nut and saddle. From sound samples I've found, it has a very nice sound. I haven't experienced it before but it's supposed to have a slightly wider neck (1-1/2" at the nut) and I like the idea of having a little more room. Reason for pause? Perhaps it's brand-name snobbery on my part. Cordoba isn't really known for their ukes. From what I've read on the internet, the quality and opinions on their ukes is spotty at best. What I'd have to weigh is that the negative opinions on their ukes seems to be based on the reputation of their older models. The 30 series is a newer line with a new/different build and is their top of the line uke. Does Cordoba's spotty reputation extend into the 30 series for quality or is their 30 series a departure and an improvement in quality? Would I have to be less concerned about this assuming HMS would weed out any problem Cordobas? The Cordoba would be cheaper overall because a canvas hard foam case is included in the price but I'm not at all a fan of zippered cases so I'd probably want to replace it with a hard case that had loop snaps (I don't know what they are officially called) on it. That would put the Cordoba back on the same price level overall as the Pono.

The Pono MT is a nice looking uke but a bit plain without binding or other bling, not nearly as nice looking as the Cordoba. The sound samples are wonderful, it might have a slight edge on the Cordoba but I really like both sound-wise. Pono has a great reputation so I'd have little to worry about there.

So what are your thoughts and opinions? I'm torn between the two. I think I'm looking for a hybrid between the two, a Corono or a Ponoba. Is one a clear winner over the other? Would either of the choices be a good one?

Last edited:
I vote Pono...my dad has a MT and my son has a MC...both are terrific!

A while back I asked HMS about the Córdoba 15cm which they no longer carry, and was asking them why. They replied that they chose to stop carrying that line because the inconsistency in their build was not up to their standards. My gut tells me the Córdoba lines they do carry are solidly consistent and would weed out any issues, coupled with their setup work, would get you a quality Córdoba.

I've owned several of both brands, but not those exact models. You'll likely be happy with either when buying from a quality place like HMS. Personally, I like the cedar-topped Pono MTD-2. Not sure if you checked that one out or not. I also really like the Pono Mango ukes. Really nice sound to my ear -- a bit more expressive across the tonal spectrum than pure mahogany -- and more interesting looking. That's also why I like the cedar-topped 'hog to the all-hog Pono (it's also better looking to me). But alas, you're buying it for you, not for me (darn it! ;-)...

Let us know what you end up deciding!

I currently own a Cordoba 30T and really like it. I've owned 2 Ponos (soprano & concert) in the past. While the build quality of the Pono's is excellent, I think the tone & volume of the 30T are better than the what I experienced with the 2 Pono's I've owned. I recognize that the 2 Pono's were a smaller size, which has an impact on the volume.

That's my opinion....

If you like the sound of a tenor, it's unfair to compare even a superior soprano or concert to it.

There are enough YouTube and Vimeo demos of both models. Forget about the looks and pick the one that sounds most right for the kind of music you want to make.

Don't overlook the Islander MST-4.

I looked at that one but it didn't make the cut because I'm not a fan of bridge pins and I don't like the look of that tortoise shell binding. It's too bad. If it had a standard bridge and a dark, solid binding I'd definitely consider it because it has a pretty nice sound.

I hate to be a thread killer but nobody here can give you the answer you are looking for. You seem to like the sound of the Pono better but it is very obvious you like the looks of the Cordoba.

Ask Andrew his opinion about the build quality of the Cordoba. I doubt he would be carrying that model if there was any kind of issue. I have bought based on looks and an ok sound, it never lasted. Once you are really playing something you quickly forget about the looks and it is all about sound and playability. True story......I got a uke with three minor flaws and contacted the retailer about them, I was told to send it back if I was not happy, no muss no fuss. After playing it for a week I did not even notice the flaws because I LOVED the sound, I still have that uke.

I like the Cordoba a lot more because of its sweeter and warmer tone and a little bit more sustain. When you like more the percussive and clean sound then go with the pono, but they always sound for me less individual. But each ear hears other things and tones. To Cordoba: Isn't there a video on the HMS-Site where the Cordoba-people explain that their new line was made with the help of Pepe Romero?

Take a peek at Mele too. I have an all solid mahogany tenor and she's a sweet uke.

I hate to be a thread killer but nobody here can give you the answer you are looking for. You seem to like the sound of the Pono better but it is very obvious you like the looks of the Cordoba.

Ask Andrew his opinion about the build quality of the Cordoba. I doubt he would be carrying that model if there was any kind of issue. I have bought based on looks and an ok sound, it never lasted. Once you are really playing something you quickly forget about the looks and it is all about sound and playability. True story......I got a uke with three minor flaws and contacted the retailer about them, I was told to send it back if I was not happy, no muss no fuss. After playing it for a week I did not even notice the flaws because I LOVED the sound, I still have that uke.

Fully agree with this. Looks second, sound first.

I have a Pono AT and love it. It took awhile to understand I liked fluorocarbon strings after trying all kinds but the AT sings. I'm sure I'd love the MT and really like the MTD ( step up in finish ) sound sample. I was also looking at Cordoba but it was the 12 fret to body that killed the idea for me. I like 14 frets to body.... just personal preference. I'm sure buying from HMS you can't go wrong. Call any of the guys at HMS and ask their opinion. My bias is towards Pono as I like the neck, solid build, and you can always find a string combo that will bring out the best in a PONO..... IMNO.
Good luck.

I hate to be a thread killer but nobody here can give you the answer you are looking for.

I fully understand that but I do value hearing the experiences, thoughts and the opinions of participants here as I try and figure things out. :)

You seem to like the sound of the Pono better but it is very obvious you like the looks of the Cordoba. I have bought based on looks and an ok sound, it never lasted. Once you are really playing something you quickly forget about the looks and it is all about sound and playability.

While it's true that I do like the looks of the Cordoba more than I do the Pono, it turns out it's not as simple or as cut and dried as just having to choose between looks and sound. Initially I thought I slightly preferred the sound of the Pono over the Cordoba based on the sound samples on HMS thinking it was a bit warmer and a bit darker sound. After re-listening to the sound samples for each several times, I happened to notice that in the clip for the Pono, it was played mostly on the 1st four frets. In the Cordoba sound clip, it was played mostly further down the neck so of course it was going to sound a bit higher and brighter and different than the Pono. I Googled additional videos for each uke and listened to a handful of additional sound samples for each uke several times. I know I'll have to listen to them several more times but as of now, neither is standing out as a clear winner over the other sound-wise. They both sound very nice.

I guess another factor I need to take into consideration is that the Pono has the adjustable truss rod. (Though I wouldn't have the faintest idea how to use it! :D) Living in Minnesota where the temperatures and humidities vary widely over the course of the year it might be handy. I don't know how much weight I should put on that though. Temps won't vary a whole lot in the house and the uke would be properly humidified in the case during the heating months.

I was also looking at Cordoba but it was the 12 fret to body that killed the idea for me. I like 14 frets to body.... just personal preference.

Thanks for pointing that out. It's certainly something for the OP to take into consideration.

Based on my current skill set and what I anticipate my skill set to be in the next couple years, I probably won't be getting very close to the 12th fret let alone the 14th fret! :cool:

I have a Pono and I live in Canada where we get wild humidity and temperature swings and I have never touched the truss rod. As you say, stored in a case with an Oasis it is stable and hardly goes out of tune.

I like Pepe Romero and I like the new Cordoba 30 series of ukes, so does HMS based on their description and write up. I actually came close to buying the mahogany tenor based on sound alone. I like it over their spruce rosewood, spruce acacia and all acacia.

Based on my current skill set and what I anticipate my skill set to be in the next couple years, I probably won't be getting very close to the 12th fret let alone the 14th fret! :cool:

So.. you're planning to mostly chord? That might make a difference as well in your choice.

If you play chord/melody, 14 and even 15 is not really that uncommon. 16+ not so common, but ymmv. Reaching 1 over a 14th fret join isn't so bad. Reaching 3 over on a 12th fret join is pretty uncomfortable. I dread the day I start looking for a cutaway to reach those, but so far I've been ok with just a 14th fret join.

I wouldn't discount how soon you'll want to use 14/15. It'll probably come faster than you think.

So.. you're planning to mostly chord? That might make a difference as well in your choice.

If you play chord/melody, 14 and even 15 is not really that uncommon. 16+ not so common, but ymmv. Reaching 1 over a 14th fret join isn't so bad. Reaching 3 over on a 12th fret join is pretty uncomfortable. I dread the day I start looking for a cutaway to reach those, but so far I've been ok with just a 14th fret join.

I wouldn't discount how soon you'll want to use 14/15. It'll probably come faster than you think.

Right now I'm just a chord strummer accompanying myself as I sing. I do play a song where I end it with a run of single notes on the top three frets. I'd like to learn how to finger pick having some past experience doing some basic finger picks on a guitar years and years ago. Picking melodies seems like it would be pretty difficult.

I understand your pain! I spent a lot of time making my tenor choice. One of the things I considered is where and how these ukes are made. Cordoba (per their website) makes all of their ukes in China. I don't have any particular problem with buying Chinese goods, and there are some fine instruments made there, but in my experience the quality control can be iffy, and you've no idea how the folks actually making the instruments are treated, how well they are paid, valued as craftsmen, etc.

On the other hand, Ponos are made in Java, and there's a video (both on Ko'olau's site and HMS) with a full factory tour. They appear to be happy folks, they are reported to be well-paid, have health insurance, etc. The shop looks great and there seems to be a very tight relationship between Ko'olau in Hawaii and their Java shop. In other words, the Java facility is owned and run by Ko'olau, and is not a jobber of some sort. Ko'olau set-up the shop, trained the workers and supervises things.

I don't know about you, but that has an impact on my purchasing choices. Particularly with an instrument like a uke, there's something to be said for knowing that the folks who made it were happy in their work (that Aloha spirit). So, I'm currently waiting for HMS to finish setting-up the Pono ATSH Pro Classic (a mouth-full!) that I ordered! HMS is definitely the way to go in my view, and I appreciate the fact that they set-up every instrument, and that when they get behind they still take their time and don't shove them out the door -- but oh my, the waiting...

Top Bottom