I made my own humidifier..

khrome

UU+
Reaction score

Attachments

• humidifierbykhrome.jpg
    humidifierbykhrome.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 9
That is beast, Hello kitty in the Kitchen.

You went all out with the eyelets and all. Im going to ransack my girls scrap booking crap. Finally get some good use out of that stuff.

Now that is a classy piece of uke-gear! I dig the eyelets; it's really professional-looking that way.

In fact, I like the entire blog. Crafty blogs are always neat.

That's actually quite nice! I would have never thought to use the planting foam stuff. It makes a lot of sense now that I've seen you do it. Do you worry about the metal rusting though? I don't really know how it would work with plastic.

Thanks all, for checking out my blog! I'm glad you like the design. I originally tried to make the holes form a Hello Kitty head but it didn't quite work out. :)

That's actually quite nice! I would have never thought to use the planting foam stuff. It makes a lot of sense now that I've seen you do it. Do you worry about the metal rusting though? I don't really know how it would work with plastic.

The plant foam was an idea from Aldrine's Uke Minutes so I can't take the credit there. Plastic is actually the most common material used for humidifiers, in fact some people just put a wet sponge in a ziplock poked with holes. You have to worry about the drip factor on that one though.

I am worried about rust actually, and I can't find enough info on the web that says it won't rust. I believe the tins I used are made of aluminum so it will corrode but not rust. When it corrodes it forms a white layer that is suppose to end up protecting the metal. However, a lot of sites say their Altoid tins have rusted but it's possible those might be made with some other material. Maybe I should take the Altoids reference out of my blog! Also, maybe it was just the pins in the hinges that rusted - I'm sure those are not made of aluminum. It's just another thing for me to test over time, as well as the humidity it puts out.

I'm actually more worried about the eyelets because the container did not say what they are made of. But a lot of eyelets also seem to be made of aluminum when I looked them up on the web.

I will definitely let you guys know if this ends up being a humidiFAILer. lol

Last edited:
thanks for the tabs

...and posted instructions on my blog on how to make it

http://khromeatplay.blogspot.com/

or the direct link
http://khromeatplay.blogspot.com/2009/03/how-to-make-humidifier-for-your-ukulele.html

Like I mentioned in the blog, I haven't tested this yet - I ordered a hygrometer but I'll be out of town week after next so I probably won't get to test this until 2 weeks from now.

Nice instructions! Good photos too. Good Job!
Makes me brainstorm on other possibilities...

–Lori

khrome, have a ever told you you're awesome? You're awesome! ;)

Nice instructions! Good photos too. Good Job!
Makes me brainstorm on other possibilities...

Thanks! I'd love to see what you come up with. Don't you love it when ideas make you go "hmmm" - just like Aldrine's did for me.

khrome, have a ever told you you're awesome? You're awesome! ;)

Naaaah.. I'm just alright. lol Thanks!;)

i like that it's made from (brushed) khrome!

Hahaha! Apparently I was channeling my inner cyborg when I came up with it.

very creative. i was thinking of doing something like this after i saw yours.

Looks nice.
I made several today. Travel soap dishes and the small screwlid round containers make great ones as well, not fancy but easy to find in the travel section at any wal mart, pharmacy, etc. I need to get some propylene glycol though, can't seem to find any at any pharmacys anymore.

...and posted instructions on my blog on how to make it

http://khromeatplay.blogspot.com/

or the direct link
http://khromeatplay.blogspot.com/2009/03/how-to-make-humidifier-for-your-ukulele.html

Like I mentioned in the blog, I haven't tested this yet - I ordered a hygrometer but I'll be out of town week after next so I probably won't get to test this until 2 weeks from now.

love it!! do you ever post your stuff on ETSY? if so hit me with a link!! love all your hand made stuff on your blog!

have you ever thought about a ukulele case? like a back pack that holds a hard case? i have some ideas.. but i can't sew!

love it!! do you ever post your stuff on ETSY? if so hit me with a link!! love all your hand made stuff on your blog!

have you ever thought about a ukulele case? like a back pack that holds a hard case? i have some ideas.. but i can't sew!

I tried making stuff for profit once but I found it got really boring. I enjoy the process of learning, coming up with ideas and teaching others how to make their own rather than making the same thing over and over again, and selling it for money. So no, no etsy page for me. There are some really creative people on there tho - I've bought a few things from the crafters there.

Top Bottom