Why Clawhammer ?

ErnieElse

Reaction score
Hi all,

This is not a "how clawhammer ?" thread but a "why clawhammer ?" thread.

I'm currently learning the technique and like the learning process very much although I appreciate it will take a lot of practice for it to become second nature. However, I'm starting to wonder why I'm learning it and want to be sure it will be worth the effort :)

Firstly, I'm not interested in learning things for learning's sake and am only interested if it will make much of my music sound "better" and more distinctive. Making cool-sounding music is what I'm striving for, not being the guy who can play every chord and technique under the sun.

Secondly, I'm not interested in learning it because I have any affinity whatsoever with playing old time bluegrass and Americana tunes. Indeed I prefer playing all the standard mainstream pop, rock, country type stuff.

However what I am searching for is the most efficient way to combine strumming chords with picking a melody and creating a driving rhythm in as unified a way as possible and naively the clawhammer technique would seem to offer this. Is there an easier way ?

So am I learning a technique that can be arranged and applied across the musical spectrum so that people will go "wow, how did he do that ?" or am I learning something that is very specific to a particular musical genre and will often sound odd when used for playing many of the standard mainstream tunes I like to play ? Would I find myself building a repertoire around the technique rather than adopting the technique to make my chosen repertoire sound better ? Banging out Cripple Creek and the other standards of that genre is of no real interest to me.

I guess the next question is regarding tabs. Is it easy to rearrange standard chords plus melody tabs into bum-ditty format or once again am I learning a technique that is not applicable to a re-arrangement of most of the standard tabs out there.

Many thanks for any opinions.

Ernie

Last edited:
Clawhammer has been a lot of work for me, and I still don't play it well. It is very difficult to get usta, and it takes time to play it comfortably. If you don't like the music (Old Timey but not much Bluegrass), why bother learning it? Put your learning time into the kinda music that you like.

Different strokes for different folks! :eek:ld:

Ive watched video after video, and I just can't seem to do that first down plucking thing with the index finger, and get a clear note. I think that if I could do that, everything else would fall into place eventually. But they keep saying that it is like knocking on a door, and it isn't, because I've been knocking on doors all my life, and I still can't hit that string. Anyway, I've quit and gone back to it a half dozen times, and right now I'm in quit mode.

I play a mixture of folk (trad & conemporary) and pop and briefly tried clawhammer but realised it wasn't right for me or for most of the songs I sing. I use a mixture of strummed (mostly) and finger picked accompaniment. I found finger picking easier to pick up than clawhammer but it still takes time and effort to coordinate it with your singing. There's tutorials on You Tube.

Rollie, I hate to give anyone instructions any more. They jumped me pretty bad yesterday.

Why do you wanna play Clawhammer? You don't like Old Timey music do you? It's a lotta work (for me) if one doesn't wanna play old folk songs. I guess you could play any tunes you want, but Clawhammer is kinda distinctively Old Timey. Have you watched it on YouTube as I suggested before? One can even take lessons there.

Well, good luck with your endeavors--try YouTube first. :eek:ld:

Whoops! I didn't see that you've already watched videos and still can't do what you want. Well, that's Clawhammer! It's difficult because you're doing something that you already know how to do--but differently!

Either work and work and work on it or forget about it. It takes time . . . :eek:ld:

Rollie, I hate to give anyone instructions any more. They jumped me pretty bad yesterday.

Why do you wanna play Clawhammer? You don't like Old Timey music do you? It's a lotta work (for me) if one doesn't wanna play old folk songs. I guess you could play any tunes you want, but Clawhammer is kinda distinctively Old Timey. Have you watched it on YouTube as I suggested before? One can even take lessons there.

Well, good luck with your endeavors--try YouTube first. :eek:ld:
Well, I don't know why I want to learn it. I'm probably better off not wasting my time, for all the reasons that you said. Yes, I did watch that video that you gave me.

Well, I don't know why I want to learn it. I'm probably better off not wasting my time, for all the reasons that you said. Yes, I did watch that video that you gave me.

Well, at the risk of being excoriated, I'll give it a try. What are you trying to do? :eek:ld:

Well, at the risk of being excoriated, I'll give it a try. What are you trying to do? :eek:ld:
Just that first down stroke with the index finger, where you hit that one string to get everything started. That is all. I know how the do it, I don't get it done. Instead of a note, I get a thunk. My finger ends up stuck between the strings. I don't think that you can make me more coordinated.

I have short, soft, nails and can't do clawhammer very well. If you don't really like that style of playing, why worry about it? Just don't learn/play it.
I get my bum diddy bum with a quick down/up with my forefinger and a down on the 4th string with my thumb. Not "elegant" but it get's the job done.
Save your frustration for trying to learn something you really, really want to learn and will use often. Uke is supposed to be "fun."

Whilst I do hope I get more replies about the benefits of actually being able to play the style across musical genres rather than another thread about actually how to play the style, I will offer the following as someone who is putting in quite a few hard hours of practice at the moment.

I am finding that playing clawhammer on a larger instrument such as Tenor or Baritone is quite a bit easier than a smaller instrument for (so far) three reasons.

1 String tension is higher and so more volume is achieved with less string movement.

2 Learning to strike unfretted strings is relatively easy on all instruments but striking fretted strings is trickier as the small movement downwards of the string when fretted can cause the strike to miss. These downward movements are smaller for instruments with longer scale length.

3 I'm finding a good way of hitting fretted strings is to simultaneously fret them and pull them down towards the first string slightly. Such small string bends hardly distort the sound on a larger instrument but become very noticeable on a smaller instrument.

These are my observations FWIW.

Anyway, still hoping to be convinced that clawhammer is a smart addition to traditional strumming and Travis picking for a player who just likes to bang out modern music.

Ernie

Just that first down stroke with the index finger, where you hit that one string to get everything started. That is all. I know how the do it, I don't get it done. Instead of a note, I get a thunk. My finger ends up stuck between the strings. I don't think that you can make me more coordinated.

First, play a single note. It's a melody note, and the first note of the tune. Then set the nail part of your index or middle finger at string #4 and strum down toward the floor. Then, with your thumb which is already resting on string #4, pluck the string. Whenever you "pick" a string, you should strike it towards the top of the Uke and stop it at the next lower string. If your fingers are going between the strings, you're probably pressing too hard. It's just a light stroke across the top of all four strings and then a pluck. The timing for the Bom-Diddy is two tied 8th notes.

Anyway, that's how I learned how to do it. "Get 'er done!" :eek:ld:

Whilst I do hope I get more replies about the benefits of actually being able to play the style across musical genres rather than another thread about actually how to play the style, I will offer the following as someone who is putting in quite a few hard hours of practice at the moment.

I am finding that playing clawhammer on a larger instrument such as Tenor or Baritone is quite a bit easier than a smaller instrument for (so far) three reasons.

1 String tension is higher and so more volume is achieved with less string movement.

2 Learning to strike unfretted strings is relatively easy on all instruments but striking fretted strings is trickier as the small movement downwards of the string when fretted can cause the strike to miss. These downward movements are smaller for instruments with longer scale length.

3 I'm finding a good way of hitting fretted strings is to simultaneously fret them and pull them down towards the first string slightly. Such small string bends hardly distort the sound on a larger instrument but become very noticeable on a smaller instrument.

These are my observations FWIW.

Anyway, still hoping to be convinced that clawhammer is a smart addition to traditional strumming and Travis picking for a player who just likes to bang out modern music.

Ernie
I'm probably the one who started in the "how" direction instead of the "why" direction, so to address your question, I don't see any reason. I don't even know why I keep trying, because I know that even if I do learn it, I won't do it a lot.

I'm probably the one who started in the "how" direction instead of the "why" direction, so to address your question, I don't see any reason. I don't even know why I keep trying, because I know that even if I do learn it, I won't do it a lot.

That's what I thought, Rollie. Just go on with your new jam sessions. :eek:ld:

Why because the nails clacking add such a nice percussive sound to the music.

I like the music where you can play clawhammer I just dont think I'll ever really get it either. Truth be told the time needed just might not be worth it.

After 3 failed attempts i decided to give it another try and i am slowly making the bum ditty a thing i can do. I do like folk/country/old timey and bluegrass so I'm hoping this is something i can use to explore that music. I don't think i would be spending the time if i didn't like these musical styles. But Once i can do it well, i will definatley try it it in other music
-- I have enjoyed a great version of Cats in the cradle by Richard Hefner.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y08-twcUO9k

As ubulele wrote, it's an individual sound, much like calypso or lute music or blues, all of which can be played on a ukulele, but I think you've got to want to play in that style for it's own sake, else the whole exercise becomes a fairly academic process.

For me, I wanted to play a specific tune in this style (Old Joe Clark, on a 5-string banjo) and persevered until I could do it. Having achieved that, I found I could use the style in many other scenarios. I'm not sure I'd have bothered to learn claw-hammer without a particular goal in mind ... now I've got it I'm really glad I did :music:

Just my tuppence worth. I'm not saying I'm right or wrong, just giving an example as how/why I learnt claw-hammer ... YMMV ;)

One of the many things I love about clawhammer is that it takes simple chords and fingerings and makes them sound complex and interesting. The right hand technique is challenging, but after putting in the hours it becomes very rhythmic and natural. At this point some of the easiest songs I play sound are clawhammer tunes that sound technical and difficult.

In addition, any technique you learn will ultimately make you a better player. Fan strokes, split strokes, 2 finger picking, 3 finger picking.... all will help you to develop you own style. I have learned many song that I would never listen to on an album simply because I wanted to learn a particular trick or technique. I've always learned setting new from it and expanded my appreciation of the music.

Top Bottom