Why aren't strings uniform tension?

mocash2003

Reaction score
String sets for ukulele (and for guitars as well) almost always have varying tensions for the strings when tuned up to pitch. For example, the A string will have more tension than the E string, and the C string will have the lowest tension.

I'm wondering, is there a specific reason for the different tensions?

Has anyone done much experimenting with trying a set of strings with uniform tension when tuned to pitch? If so, it'd be great to hear your experiences

I have used online string apps to build custom even-tension sets for odd instruments. I don't notice much difference, although I think higher-tension top and bottom strings would give somewhat brighter sound.

I read a few comments about threads getting chatty I guess I do my best.

Simple non smart ass answer to the original question of "Why aren't strings uniform tension?" is... Due to the laws of physics.

I notice difference in tension between my sopranos and my tenor but not so much across the fretboard. I mostly play soprano with a reentrant set of Aquila reds.

Aquila reds claim to impregnate the string with copper to change the weight and pitch without a drastic change in diameter. Perhaps this also equalizes the tension? Popped two low G's on my Risa stick restrung that and my SEM with reentrant sets a year ago and they are still going strong. They took a few days to settle and they do stretch so much I had to readjust the windings on a few pegs on both ukuleles.

I like them so much I bought a set for my tenor hoping the tension changes to something I want to play. It just sound so damn good with the strings on it though.

While I could talk about, feel and hear the texture of different skin types as its being tattooed or tell my artist whats wrong with his machine from listening to it from across the room I guess I'm just not set up to detect different string tension between strings on a single instrument. This might be a blessing.

~peace~

Why would you want uniform tension? The strings would still feel different between the thick and thin ones

You can use http://stringtensionpro.com/ to calculate string gauge for individual tension, but I don't see the point. If you claim to be able to tell the difference between 10 lbs and 12 lbs tension on a couple of strings, and are distracted by it, you're analyzing it too much.

Go buy a tuba.

Why would you want uniform tension? The strings would still feel different between the thick and thin ones

This question came about because I was using a set of strings where the A string seemed to overpower the other strings. The A string felt quite a bit higher tension than the others so I'm assuming that's the reason why it was overpowering the other strings.

The tension is a function of the note you want to reach combined with how much the string will vibrate and thus hit the frets causing a buzz and how they feel to the fingers. Google some of the theory on harp strings for more info on the theory behind how strings of certain lengths vibrate and how close they are to breaking. Thicker strings need higher tension and vibrate less than thinner strings to reach the same note.

Top Bottom